Shovelling snow

WarmDontBurn
WarmDontBurn Posts: 1,253 Member
edited September 23 in Fitness and Exercise
I don't normally add anything as exercise unless it is a walk, treadmill or the Wii....basically anything where I would put on my HRM I would count. Since my HRM is broken I haven't been able to use it. I shovelled the driveway for my grandma today and it is a pretty good size you could fit 4 vehicles total..... side by side bumper to bumper. I imagine it took me a lot longer then 1/2 hour but I figured since I was already sore and have calluses I would record it. I put in a 1/2 hour to be safe I wasn't over estimating and MFP says 198 calories....anyone use their HRM and see how close MFP is? I am sure it is close since it took me a lot longer then 1/2 hour anyway but I am curious.

Replies

• denitraross
    denitraross Posts: 325 Member
    shovelling snow and mowing the lawn are high aerobic activities...think about it - it causes 100's of heart attacks every year!!...
  • Sharont213
    Sharont213 Posts: 323 Member
    I have never used a HRM for that but I would think you could use that as an approximation. It's a fairly intensive cardio activity.
  • Healthyby30
    Healthyby30 Posts: 1,349 Member
    I shoveled the other day for 10 minutes and it was about 104 calories according to my HRM> It goes off of your weight and what not but I'd say that'd be a good guess.
  • WarmDontBurn
    WarmDontBurn Posts: 1,253 Member
    Ok well I am going to take up shovelling then! I burned more calories shovelling then I did working out with the Wii...lol.
  • DeBlue
    DeBlue Posts: 254 Member
    But darn its never so simple. Was the snow light and fluffy or heavy and deep? Makes a huge difference. Thirty minutes pushing the fluffy stuff might be 50 cal where the heavy stuff more like 350+. Without a fancy monitor I think you can safely compare your burn to walking for the light effort or running for the heavy stuff.
This discussion has been closed.