Hi everyone! My story need some advice!

Options
Hi everyone have finally decided to come to my senses and loose the bulge! I am a 22 year old guy who's currently at around 106 kg and want to get down to 75 kg! I am wondering is there anyone on here with type 1 diabetes? I am a diabetic myself and am looking for advice on how people manage their condition and losing weight. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Phil

Replies

• devildog525
    Options
    Just remember its not really what you eat, rather how much you eat. everything in moderation. If the nutrition facts says something is 1 cup then only eat one cup. It will suck at first but it gets better. If its one thing Ive learned in the Marine Corps its dedication and determination. Mind over matter, if you dont mind it doesnt matter, Youll get it man. And lots of exercise, it fixes everything medical problems included. Especially cardio
  • merrillfoster
    merrillfoster Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I'm also diabetic and let me tell you it's a pain. I'm currently on Lantus and Novolog, which makes it easier b/c I really only have to cover what I eat. I've found that with my exercise routine (as opposed to the strict routine of lifting the tv remote and wine glass that I had before) I had to decrease my Lantus a bit because I kept getting low sugars (requiring me to consume calories that I didn't want to consume). But all in all it's been good for me, I eat better (though by no means strictly well, as the cheeseburger and fries I had for lunch can attest to) and take better care of myself--less snacking, etc.

Basically, the moral of the story is that you probably will need to keep a closer eye on your sugars, especially when you first get started, and keep something on you pretty handy in case of a low one. Don't try to do a crazy change in diet--do it slowly (this will also make it easier to stick to) so that your body has a chance to adjust and you get the chance to see how things affect you and adjust accordingly. Good luck!
  • nonoark
    nonoark Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I am one of the few that found out that I had diabetes (after my son was born) and continued to have it for 7 years afterward. When I finally did decide that it was time to work on it (after the doctor told me that I would end up in a wheelchair without legs), I cried. I gave up my beloved pasta, pizza and many breads. I started eating more fruits, nuts and rice. I also incorporated a little dry red wine on a regular basis. Only later did I find out the Medical Journal posted an article about the benefits (please check with your doctor, as it may not be good for every one). The doctor told me to concentrate on maintaining positive #'s and not weight loss (and I thought that was odd). At the time I did not know that it was getting worse. Adding some exercise and watching the starches and hidden sugars are a great start. If you are like me and love the breads...OMIT WHITE and go for your hardier grains. I have now started making home made pizza on whole grain bread, pitas and dough. Make sure to watch your sodium since that can be just as bad. I know that this sounds like I destroyed your options for quick fun food, but the more you can stay away from processed ready made foods, the better for you. Good luck and I hope this helps.
  • philreeduk
    philreeduk Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    hey guys thanks for the responses! my diet is my biggest concern at the moment, before i got a tiny, (well maybe a bit more than tiny!) bit larger i use to do a lot of sport and so am use to balancing that out, thankfully merrillfoster i'm not on lantos, was perscribed it a few years ago lasted around a month on it!

I'm more concerned about my diet in general and the diabetes, being a student i don't really have the budget to change what i buy drastically so was wondering if anyone had cheap, tasty foods that most importantly fit into both my diabetic control and weight loss! or is this simply wishful thinking?!?!

I was also wondering does anyone have any alternatives to calorie-light treatments to hypoglycemic attacks? For me currently, its usually a bar of chocolate and something else to act in the long term pieces of bread etc. I have used lucozade/energy tablets in the past for sport and know that they are a good substitute but their taste is awful!! does anyone have any suggestions?
  • Jartexas
    Jartexas Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    With your condition it would be best to ask your doctor, have an in depth conversations, go prepared with a list of questions,