Hello from England, UK

Options
Hi all, I'm a 40 year old bloke in the UK and have been around 17-17.5 stones for years. I do long-distance walking (10-25 miles) and each year do one which is 21 miles in March. Every year, as I walk up the first hill, I tell myself that I'll definitely lose a load of weight before the one next year - and next year comes around with no real change!

So this is me making a commitment to drop the excess weight and try to get somewhere around 12.5-13 stones over the next few months. I'm currently looking after someone's exercise bike and am doing around 20-30 mins a day on that. I don't see myself as dieting and am not hung up on what I eat that much. I'm just making sure I do it sensibly, drop the sugary snacks and up the exercise a bit. My job involves sitting in an office with plenty of biscuits and cakes lying around, and I'm sure I'll still have the odd one or two!

I just found MFP by accident and think it's great, as we all share a common goal but can do it in our own way. Good luck to everyone else, I hope you reach your goals and have fun on the way. Chris

Replies

• bsexton3
    bsexton3 Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I am a pastor and served a church in Scotland right out of school for a year. I would visit the older members of the church in the afternoons--all cakes and biscuits. I would come home for dinner and my wife would get mad that I was full on sweets. Needless to say, that year added a lot of weight.

In simply keeping sweets away most of the time, my tastes changed. I no longer care about cheap candy. I am learning that as long as I burn more calories than I eat, I will not gain weight. Sometimes, I don't lose it, but I don't gain it either. Hopefully, in the new year, I will stay away from the sweets and eat healthy grains and fruit.

Welcome to the journey to a new life
  • s_ton
    s_ton Posts: 3
    Options
    Good luck, the toughest part is laying off the free snacks at work! I'm always curious-- In the UK, what is the usage of "stone" as to "Kg or Pounds" when to referring to a person's weight?
  • philreeduk
    philreeduk Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Hi Chris fellow UK'er here have been thinking about starting to try and lose weight again and remembered i had downloaded the iphone app a couple of months back so have now restarted with it! Good luck to you my friend!
  • chris808
    Options
    Hi bsexton3 and s_ton, thanks for your comments. Just dropping sugary snacks made a huge difference last time I did this, I lost a load of weight and stopped getting headaches. So I added sugar to the list of things to track in the app, but as you say fruit and grains are good alternatives and just take a little getting used to. Losing weight is as much mind as it is body.

A stone is 14 pounds, so I'm currently at 237 pounds aiming to drop to around 175