Suggestions

Options
togden
togden Posts: 324 Member
So I am new here and I found this website to help me keep track of the calories Im eating and to plug in the dinners I create to help me stay within a 500 calorie goal.

I actually am doing the Slim Fast program which is a 1200 calorie intake per day which is fine everything went well with me today I was good all evening but I think I could probably have used an extra 100 calorie snack late morning early afternoon ... Not the point Im curious though because on 1200 calories a day and with my workout burn of about 455 my net calories are only 690. Is this okay?? It also makes me wonder because MFP says my daily intake could be 2270 so thats a 1000 calorie difference between MFP and SF .... any suggestions or thoughts???

Replies

• ktndj82104
    Options
    I am not so sure about how many calories you should be eating but I do know when you exercise you should eat those calories. So you eat 1200 a day with no exercise and 1200 plus the calories you burn on the days you do exercise.
  • midgetrapper
    midgetrapper Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    good luck. playing wii fit helps me most days
  • kmsene
    kmsene Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    HI!! Good for you for starting a program! I did too!! =) I would say you probably need more. You might want to check the sugar in SlimFast, it's kind of high. If you feel like you needed that extra snack, you probably should- try to listen to your body. On the other had 2200 calories sounds high. The 2 programs are completely different, one is a slow steady 1-2lbs per week, the other...well gets you slim, fast....does Slimfast have a support website? If you are hungry with that program, you are less likely to stick with it- after several days of being hungry, you are more likely to over eat. Let me know how it goes!! =)
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    1st off let me say the you won't last long on 1200 calories a day. If 2270 is your maintenance calories then eat 1270 plus your exercise calories. That's about 1700 calories a day and still a 2 lb per week loss. You don't want to lose faster than that. The other thing that is really important if you want to keep the weight off is to do resistance training at least 3 days a week. Muscle is your metabolism and you increase it when you increase your muscle. I know what your thinking...you don't want big and bulkie muscles. Don't worry, you're a woman and it's harder for you to build those bulky muscles. The other thing is muscle burns fat. The more muscle you build the faster you'll lose weight. And don't listen to the people that say muscle weighs more than fat. 1 lb or muscle weighs the same as 1 lb of fat. Muscle is smaller then fat. So 1 lb of muscle is like an orange and 1 lb of fat is like a grapefruit. Which would you rather have?
  • togden
    Options
    I am not so sure about how many calories you should be eating but I do know when you exercise you should eat those calories. So you eat 1200 a day with no exercise and 1200 plus the calories you burn on the days you do exercise.

I am eating 1200 but then working out and burning 450 of those 1200 ... I am exercising everyday so you think I should probably take in about 1600 a day?
  • togden
    Options
    1st off let me say the you won't last long on 1200 calories a day. If 2270 is your maintenance calories then eat 1270 plus your exercise calories. That's about 1700 calories a day and still a 2 lb per week loss. You don't want to lose faster than that. The other thing that is really important if you want to keep the weight off is to do resistance training at least 3 days a week. Muscle is your metabolism and you increase it when you increase your muscle. I know what your thinking...you don't want big and bulkie muscles. Don't worry, you're a woman and it's harder for you to build those bulky muscles. The other thing is muscle burns fat. The more muscle you build the faster you'll lose weight. And don't listen to the people that say muscle weighs more than fat. 1 lb or muscle weighs the same as 1 lb of fat. Muscle is smaller then fat. So 1 lb of muscle is like an orange and 1 lb of fat is like a grapefruit. Which would you rather have?

THANKS for the info sounds like you have a good idea of whats going on around here plus you are well on your weight loss journey I see .... Definitely only looking to lose 1 to 2 pounds a week (nice and steady) and so I do think I will up the calories a bit .... as I stated earlier I did get hungry once early in the morning and so I did think I needed another snack or maybe a heavier snack in the morning since thats when Im working out but the rest of the day I was fine with no hunger at all.
  • elainegsd
    elainegsd Posts: 459 Member
    Options

I am eating 1200 but then working out and burning 450 of those 1200 ... I am exercising everyday so you think I should probably take in about 1600 a day?

Yes, at least initially.