Pain in lower legs after exercising

mama2healthy
mama2healthy Posts: 25
edited September 23 in Fitness and Exercise
Hi. I always get a lot of pain in lower legs after exercising. I just started doing Leslie Sansone walk away the pounds, its low impact
and it still happens. Should I just work through it or take Ibuprofen before my workouts?
Any help is appreciated. I also have flat feet but I use Dr. Scholls insoles.
Thanx :)

Replies

• javamom
    javamom Posts: 309
    Is it in the front? It could be shin splints. Sometimes that happens when you increase activity a great deal.
  • jrbanta
    jrbanta Posts: 4,347 Member
    You might want to do a light warm up and then stretch your calves. Make sure you stretch your calf muscles after your walk. Taking ibuprofen before or after helps too. Having the right shoes makes all the difference. Depending on your arch support and what your stride is like, may be affecting your legs. I wear the Sketcher Shape Ups and they are very cushy with high arch support. Recommended by my podiatrist. With a coupon and a sale I was able to get them for a reasonable price. Good luck!
    Jenny
  • bikerbiz
    bikerbiz Posts: 179 Member
    Drink water, and try some walnuts (has omega 3 and protein) and an apple--both have anti-inflammatory properties and are good for post-workout. Red Delicious supposedly has the most inflammation fighting anti-oxidants of the apples.
  • Thank you for the advice. The pain is in the front always yes. I have it sometimes when I dont exercise at all.
    I heard that Skechers shape ups are great. If things dont improve after a while I will try to get them.
    Thank you all.
  • jrbanta
    jrbanta Posts: 4,347 Member
    Is the pain on your shins and shoots up the bone? You could have shin splints from too hard of an impact on your heels when you land on them during exercising. If so you may want to talk to your doctor. You might have to go to more low impact exercise such as swimming. They can be pretty painful.:bigsmile:
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    If the pain is on the front of your shins, it's likely to be impact related (shinsplints) and can be to do with not having enough cushioning in the shoes or walking on very hard surfaces (concrete etc).

If the pain is on the inside of the lower leg, it's likely to be linked to pronation (inward rolling of the foot during the gait cycle). Google "Tibialis Posterior Tendonitis". Perhaps you need shoes that provide more structure to the foot or insoles that provide more correction.

If the pain is at the back of the lower leg, it could just be a tight achilles, in which case stretch more after a long walk.

If the pain is under the foot, it could be Plantar Faciitis, which can be awkward to heal... Try rolling the foot on something cold like a bottle of frozen water.
This discussion has been closed.