help! HRM calories way higher than mfp and gym machines

Options
Okay....I'm 5' 7", 212 lbs, and 30 yrs old, max HR is 190 bpm.....I just got this HRM and when I'm running 5 mph my HR goes as high as 160's, and when I did my 30-60 second high intensity interval my HR went to 170's-180's....is that normal? doc said my blood pressure is normal, no cholesterol issue. Anyways, my HRM says I burned 900 calories in a 45 minute run/jog!! Not even MFP puts it that high! Is it because my HR is running high that the calories are calculated so high? Is it an accurate count? I just feel like my HR shouldn't be at 80-90% when I'm not even close running at full speed, should I press my Doc to check me out further....oh and BTW I take albuterol inhaler before my workout...is that a factor?

Replies

• DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Yeah, that's a bit steep. What HRM are you using? The ones with straps are more accurate. Make sure you have everything plugged in correctly, stat wise. My HRM usually says between 300-500 cals burned at 45 mins, depending on how hard I'm working.
  • kthom
    kthom Posts: 175
    Options
    The inhaler is increasing your heart rate, a side effect of the medication. Your heart rate will come down as you become more conditioned. The HRM bases calories on your weight and heart rate so it might be right if you are really ticking along.
  • merebear
    merebear Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I asked the same thing but got no response, so hopefully someone will have some insight here. My HRM reads my calories burned pretty high, MFP is usually the lowest, and the elliptical machine reads at about the middle. I didn't know which one to trust! My HRM is just the watch (no chest strap) didn't want anything fancy and complicated, what about yours?
  • ltlhmom
    ltlhmom Posts: 1,202 Member
    Options
    Does it have a chest strap? I know the ones with a chest strap are more accurate. I know the highest my HR has gotten up to is the 160 but that is only doing the elliptical. I haven't ran yet. Sorry can't be of much help. Do you enter you weight into the machine? What is your resting heart rate?
  • Lisa__Michelle
    Lisa__Michelle Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I asked the same thing but got no response, so hopefully someone will have some insight here. My HRM reads my calories burned pretty high, MFP is usually the lowest, and the elliptical machine reads at about the middle. I didn't know which one to trust! My HRM is just the watch (no chest strap) didn't want anything fancy and complicated, what about yours?

I have a watch one too and mine reads really high. I do the EA active sports game which has a heart rate monitor. The game said I burned 149 calories in 26 minutes and my heart rate watch said I burned 458 calories in the same 26 minutes... which one do I trust?
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    HRMs that are wrist watches have a track record for inaccuracy. HRMs with chest straps are considerably more reliable than wrist watches.
  • markymarrkk
    markymarrkk Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I'm using an MIO drive wrist watch that cost me $120, I know that my heart rate actually is pretty high even acccording to gym machines, that's My main concern. It doesn't have a chest strap, ill probabaly try one like that and see if it makes a difference.

I know that the Albuterol may have an effect on my HR, anyone with asthma know if Advair does the same or no?
  • agartin
    agartin Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Not sure, because I'm new to this whole HRM thing myself. I got a cheap one with a chest strap.

I like to check it with this calculator, too. It always comes up neck and neck, and so far, with your stats and everything, I put it 175 as the AHR and came up with 866 cals burned per 45 minutes. So, sounds like you very well could have burned that much.
  • markymarrkk
    Options
    Does it have a chest strap? I know the ones with a chest strap are more accurate. I know the highest my HR has gotten up to is the 160 but that is only doing the elliptical. I haven't ran yet. Sorry can't be of much help. Do you enter you weight into the machine? What is your resting heart rate?

my resting heart rate is at about 65-75, 80-100 when I'm talking n moving around n stuff
  • markymarrkk
    Options
    Not sure, because I'm new to this whole HRM thing myself. I got a cheap one with a chest strap.

I like to check it with this calculator, too. It always comes up neck and neck, and so far, with your stats and everything, I put it 175 as the AHR and came up with 866 cals burned per 45 minutes. So, sounds like you very well could have burned that much.

thanks for cross referencing that for me bro, It didn't feel like I worked that hard though to earn 800-900 calories. I'm gonna do some more research about it.
  • markymarrkk
    Options

thanks for cross referencing that for me bro, It didn't feel like I worked that hard though to earn 800-900 calories. I'm gonna do some more research about it.

Sorry, from the pic I thought you were the guy. lol
  • droppin_lbs
    droppin_lbs Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar brand HRM with a chest strap. According to it I also burn very large number of calories during workouts.
    One thing to keep in mind though..any electronic device such as a iPod etc ( even a vacuum cleaner!) can cause inaccurate readings. This is what I was told when I called Polar when I was given super large calorie burn numbers one particular day.

I can't comment on your HR number, but I do suggest asking your Dr especially since you are taking a med.

Best of luck and great job running 5.0! Woot woot!
  • agartin
    agartin Posts: 274 Member
    Options

Sorry, from the pic I thought you were the guy. lol

Lol that's ok,i figured that. Its my husband. Lol