How much is 70g of ice-cream?

Options
Having crazy cravings for ice-cream. Went and bought some low fat ice-cream and the serving size says 70 grams per serving. I don't have a kitchen scale... how much is 70g of ice cream? :blushing:

Replies

• pkgirrl
    pkgirrl Posts: 587
    Options
    Half a cup is standard serving size.
  • ltlhmom
    ltlhmom Posts: 1,202 Member
    Options
    Yes I second that all my ice cream container says 1/2 cup. Enjoy
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    There's 250g of ice cream in 1 cup. You can do the math from there.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options

It depends on the substance how much weight is in a cup. 250g of regular ice cream may equal a cup, but lowfat frozen yogurt or ice cream may be less dense and weigh less per cup than normal icecream. Another example is a cup of peanut butter versus a cup of marshmellows. Both have the same volume (1 cup) but one will weigh much more than the other because peanut butter is much more dense. I dont mean to be too nitpicky, but this is something I try to keep in mind myself for portion control measures.
  • TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options

It depends on the substance how much weight is in a cup. 250g of regular ice cream may equal a cup, but lowfat frozen yogurt or ice cream may be less dense and weigh less per cup than normal icecream. Another example is a cup of peanut butter versus a cup of marshmellows. Both have the same volume (1 cup) but one will weigh much more than the other because peanut butter is much more dense. I dont mean to be too nitpicky, but this is something I try to keep in mind myself for portion control measures.

Ditto. Cup is a volume thing and grams is weight. Most likely the fake ice cream is less dense than the real stuff.

And dittoing what others have said, from the stuff I've seen, it's usually half a cup as well - one scoop generally.

Edit: awww you removed your post! I liked the point you made. hehe
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I put it back. I was afraid I was sounding too preachy...

<-- big math geek here, so I'm picky about such things! :)
  • TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    I put it back. I was afraid I was sounding too preachy...

<-- big math geek here, so I'm picky about such things! :)

Quick tangent, it's a good thing to point that stuff out. People don't always realize the difference. :)

PS - I'm a scientist, so I get the necessity of being "correct" about this stuff.
  • AlliDoisWin81
    Options
    Buy a digital food scale. You will love it.
  • JaneZv
    JaneZv Posts: 200
    Options
    Haha... i can't afford a digital food scale, lol. Thanks everyone for the advice! :drinker:
  • semiquaver
    Options

Yes but a cup in the US is different to a UK cup.
  • JaneZv
    JaneZv Posts: 200
    Options

Yes but a cup in the US is different to a UK cup.

I google it, and the British cup is 10 fl oz, wow...