Any Tips For A "Plate Cleaner"

Options
I've struggled forever with leaving anything on my plate...maybe it's because of the way I was raised - I find myself thinking about the cost instead of how full I am. I will eat until it becomes unbearable at times. I KNOW better but stuggle with applying the knowledge of just STOPPING! Any words of wisdom?

Replies

• Yarnpiggie
    Options
    I have used smaller plates fairly successfully. Doesn't solve the problem of cleaning the plate, but it does make cleaning the plate less of a problem since there is less food on them. :-)
  • MobiusMan
    MobiusMan Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Put less on your plate. ask waiter to do 1/2 portions. log it.
  • aprettykitty84
    Options
    Don't put so much on your plate to start with. Put maybe half of what you normally would, eat that and get the satisfaction of a clean plate. Wait 10 minutes or so to be sure your hunger is satisfied, if not, get another small amount if you are truly still hungry. I find that after that waiting period, my hunger is satisfied and I don't want any more.
  • snerk
    snerk Posts: 51
    Options
    Definately use a smaller plate!! I havent even used a normal sized plate since September! makes a huge difference
  • TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    Expanding on other suggestions:

You don't have to finish it. If you are full, stop eating! Take the leftovers and put em in the freezer for another meal.

If you are looking at the cost of throwing the food away, just think about the cost of poor health later on. Being obese costs more than being healthy.
  • mrmarius
    mrmarius Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    log the food right before you eat it. i do that sometimes and when i realize how many calories i'm about to eat it makes a difference. i too was raised to clean the plate "you dont waste good food" lol so now i have to consciously watch myself
  • justann
    justann Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I know exactly what you mean. I was always taught not to waste food. What I have started thinking about is this......It is also a waste to 'clean my plate' when I am already full. However, not only is it a waste but it is even worse than wasting since eating when not hungry is added unwanted calories in my body and causing more 'harm'.
  • ababygrace
    Options
    Would you rather it go to waste or go to your waist?
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    and when eating out, ask the waitress to bring you one of those take out containers WITH your meal, that way you can immediately pack up your intended leftovers BEFORE you eat, and can clean your plate of the portion you INTEND to eat. It works.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Put less on your plate & the rest in the fridge for tomorrow.
  • kidtechnical
    Options
    I use Paul McKennas "I can make you thin" book & CD and one of his tips is to put your knife & fork down between mouthfuls (or sit your sandwhich down), chew the food properly, concentrate on the flavours before lifting the fork for the next mouthful. It's supposed to slow down your eating, so you can recognise when you are beginning to feel full, rather than wolfing it down and missing the signal. I've been doing this for 17 days now & I'm definately not eating as fast as I was and I'm eating less as a result. I've noticed husband has polished off his (1st!) portion and I'm only 1/4 of the way in to my meal & happy to leave a little if I'm full. If you put less food on your plate to begin with you don't need to feel bad if you get full, you'll leave less (if any) and will save £/$ on groceries. Leftovers in my house get put in the fridge for the next days lunch. If I'm eating out I have no issues asking for a doggy bag, maybe if everyone asked for doggy bags restaurants would get the message that they're over feeding us and cut their portions to normal sizes (then we can all eat out more!!).
  • ultimategar
    ultimategar Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I have the smae problem, a concerted effort by my parents to make sure i was well nourished as a child!
    I think everyone has said 'put less on your plate'.
    If you're in a restaurant where the portions are too big try putting your napkin over the food when you're finished, or do as my friend does and empy suger/salt/pepper or whatever is at hand onto the remaining food so you can't eat it. Alternatively substitute carby or fatty items on the menu for fresh veg - you can't really eat too much of these.
  • catherine1979
    catherine1979 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Make sure at least half of your plate is fresh or steamed vegetables, one quarter starch, and one quarter protein.
  • deandp371
    Options
    I've heard it's a custom in Southern Asia to leave a bite of food on your plate. It shows whoever prepared or provided the meal that they gave you enough to eat! In other traditions you can set some of your food aside as an offering those who can't eat. So there are other perspectives on this -- and maybe you don't need to leave your plate spotless!
  • stephaluphagus
    Options
    i was raised with "waste not want not" still not sure what that means but its taken YEARS to stop feeling guilty if i dont finish food..so i try to not put so much on my plate to start with..i sometimes will also log what i'm about to eat..to see how much i'll be consuming..if its too much i'll either adjust the portion or eat something else..if i go out to eat i try to find a restaurant online that has a nutrition menu and decide beforehand what i'm going to eat..but if i dont do that then i try to order something that will still be good the next day..i'm horrible with leftovers and i dont want to waste money..so i find pasta is still great the next day and i will actually eat it..so i dont feel like i'm wasting money! oh and try to eat SLOW.i'm still working on that..i've always been a fast eater so if i dont watch myself i over eat ALL the time...grrr..anyways..good luck!!!
  • Eilonwy74
    Options
    I know what you mean. I find this to be my own issue with "wasting money" when I go out to eat. So now I'm thinking differently. I save half for lunch the next day, which saves more money and helps cut calories. I've never done so before, but I know restaurants are willing to serve you half and box up the other half before it even hits your table.

I'm afraid I can't offer more help for at home eating, since I mostly cook for just me, and have been in the habit of saving left-overs for awhile now.
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,184 Member
    Options
    I bought a bag of 10" paper plates. I measure out my portion of protein and carb/starch for the meal and then fill the rest with vegies. I still get a platefull of food, and don't feel guilty about eatting it all. Clean up is a snap too :bigsmile: