Is it ok to work out late at night?

Options
Hi all,

Not posted here before, but I need some advice if anyone can help. I power walk during the day, and tend to have dinner around 5ish, but I can't get to the gym until after the kids are in bed so about 8 at night. I use the eleptical trainer, weights and the rowing machine.
Is it ok to work out so late at night, after eating? Should I make any changes to the way I eat/times, or the way I excercise etc? Any other tips welcome too!

Replies

• stevobo
    stevobo Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I work shifts, and I exercise in the gym at work late in the evening and on nights I exercise around 3am in the morning!
    Seems to work for me- I think any type of exercise at any time of the day is good.
    If you exercise before sleep, I'm sure the afterburn will work while you are sleeping just like it does during the day.
    As for eating beffore exercise, eating light and leaving an hour or so before starting is good.
    Other than that, exercise where and whenever you like, but keep it varied!
  • samrockrocks
    samrockrocks Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    i would say it's just fine. any exercise is good exercise. i just joined a gym that is open 24 hours. i suppose it could just be for business, but if a gym is willing to endorse working out at any time of day/night then it can't be terrible, right??
  • NightOwl1
    NightOwl1 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Yes, working out at night is a good option if that's how a workout fits into your schedule. I often work out at night, and do not see any different results from when I workout during the day.
  • poisongirl6485
    poisongirl6485 Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    I work out during my lunch break at work (I work the closing shift til 2 am), usually between 10 pm and midnight. There's nobody ever in the fitness room so I don't have to worry about sharing equipment etc. I don't see why it'd matter as long as calories are being burned!
  • gemgemwill
    gemgemwill Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I work shifts and work out when I get home sometimes at 1am or even when I get home from a night shift at 6am.
    Work out when you can, evryone has different schedules and your body adapts to you working it out any time x
    :wink:
  • nichole_pickle
    Options
    Thank you for your replies everyone, much appreciated!

Well now I have no excuse at all lol, off to the Gym it is!

PS Must say some of you are totally amazing going at daft-o-clock in the morning, well done you! THAT is willpower!

xx