Working Out Twice a Day

mizzmorales89
mizzmorales89 Posts: 23
edited September 23 in Fitness and Exercise
Does anyone have any experience with this?

I'm been jogging for about 4 months and was doing that out side but just joined a gym last week. I went 6 days last week and one of those days I went twice a day. I know that wouldn't hurt anything but do you think it would be ok to go twice a day a couple days a week? I have plenty of energy and I really love going to the gym but I'm afraid I might cause more harm than good by doing that.

I lost 4 pounds last week but going everyday so I'm really excited about that. When I do go I normally stay about 60-90 minutes. Another thing I'm afraid of is hitting a plateau and then not being able to up my workout? Do you think it would be better for me to just go once a day for now and then when I hit a plateau to start going twice a day?

Replies

• If you're going to work out twice a day, I think it would be best to do different things if you can.

For example, go running first thing in the morning. Then, if you have time later in the day, spend that time doing some sort of strength training/weight lifting instead of more cardio. Lots of us ladies neglect doing strength training & it is SO SO SO important!! The more lean muscle you have in your body, the more calories you will burn at rest. Just be sure not to work the same muscle groups on consecutive days. Also, even if you decide to only work out once per day in the future, it would be a great idea to make at least two of those days per week a "strength" day.

I think it would be OK occasionally to do cardio twice in one day if that's what your heart is really set on. I'll admit that I do it every once in a while on the weekends. But if you're going to do that, make sure you are fueling your body enough and getting the right nutriets so that your glycogen levels don't drop too low for your second workout.

I think it's great that you are so excited about fitness!! Lots of people think I'm crazy for looking forward to my workouts... they just don't realize how amazing you feel after a great workout.
This discussion has been closed.