Any good books?

Options
2»

Replies

• AwMyLoLo
    AwMyLoLo Posts: 1,571 Member
    Options
    Bump for ideas! I'm reading "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" right now and there are 2 other books in the series.
  • MrsFoster18
    MrsFoster18 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Bump for ideas! I'm reading "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" right now and there are 2 other books in the series.

I almost picked that up the other day at the store!
  • JeanMargaret
    Options
    Crazy Love by Francis Chan
    Tuesdays with Morrie by Mitch Albom

I'm not a huge reader, but these books are seriously inspirationally awesome. (I think I just made that word up! ROFL!)

*Happy Reading*

Jean
  • AwMyLoLo
    AwMyLoLo Posts: 1,571 Member
    Options

My New Year's Resolution was to start reading, so my boss gave me this book to start with. He warned me that it would take 100 pages to really get into it. Well, I'm on page 276 now and it's still pretty slow. Interesting, just not going as fast as I would like. :tongue:
  • sillygoose1977
    sillygoose1977 Posts: 2,151 Member
    Options
    Anything by Wally Lamb (deep), Christopher Moore (hilarious), John Krakauer (non-fiction but great storytelling), Dennis Lehane (mystery). Goodreads.com is a great website for book lists and reviews. I am trying to meet a 50 book goal for 2011. I had 35 last year and I was a little disappointed.

I am currently reading Where Men Win Glory-The Odyssey of Pat Tillman. I'm only 80 pages in but it is very good. I'm not much for chick-lit.
  • LifesPilgrim
    LifesPilgrim Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    My first question is always, what are you into? I personally prefer Fantasy/ Midevial type books.

My personal favs:

Anything by Tolkien (rereading LOTR for maybe the twentieth time in my life)
    Guy Gavriel Kay
    Pillars of the Earth
    Shield of Three Lions
    Jim Butcher: The Dresden Files (there's like 10 or 11 books in the series)
    Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (love Sherlock Holmes!)
    Agatha Christy

I recently read "Life Along the Silk Road" by Susan Whitfield, a lot of history and NOT light reading!

If you like funny adult type stories, Carl Hiaason is really good.
  • Remi79
    Remi79 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Nora Roberts is my favorite author.

Gone With the Wind is a classic favorite.
  • catherine1979
    catherine1979 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Since the New Year I've read:

Cool Water by Dianne Warren
    Brave New World by Aldous Huxley
    If Nobody Speaks of Remarkable Things by Jon MacGregor
    The Story of Edgar Sawtelle by David Wroblewski

Some of my favourites:

Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel Garcia Marquez
    She's Come Undone by Wally Lamb
    The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho
    House of Sand and Fog by Andre Dubus III
  • fzyfrog
    fzyfrog Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    My mom told me the same thing and I finished the book and still never got into it. I have read the second one and it is a little better. Will be reading the 3rd soon. Have also watched the first two movies (In Swedish with English subtitles so it was interesting, lol). Have the 3rd movie on reserve at my local library. My opinion is that there are so many more much better books out there that I really wouldn't recommend them to anyone.

My New Year's Resolution was to start reading, so my boss gave me this book to start with. He warned me that it would take 100 pages to really get into it. Well, I'm on page 276 now and it's still pretty slow. Interesting, just not going as fast as I would like. :tongue:
  • dArtagnia
    dArtagnia Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I am really into young adult books... I dont know if it is because I am still young enough to relate to them or because I am just really used to them.

THE GREAT AND TERRIBLE BEAUTY - Libba Bray ( I loved this book. It is a trilogy so it is followed by REBEL ANGELS and A SWEET FAR THING, possibly not in that order.)

I also enjoy the books I have read written by LJ Smith.
  • LifesPilgrim
    LifesPilgrim Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I'm making some notes myself. I teach Middle School language arts and right now I feel that I am behind the curve on adult literature. I try to read a lot of the books I recommend to the kids so I really know what I am talking about.

Thanks for all the ideas everyone. If you want a book for your kids, let me know!
  • MrsFoster18
    MrsFoster18 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I am loving the list of books!

Thanks everyone!
  • Purplegal
    Purplegal Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I 3rd or 4th the recs for the Janet Evanovitch series....HILARIOUS!

Also some good mystery authors:

Vince Flynn- GREAT political/mystery thillers
    Lisa Gardner
    JA Jance
    Lee Child
  • duckie33
    duckie33 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I am looking to start a reading list for this year and would love some great book ideas! Soooo...what is everyone reading?!
    Christian fiction: "The Shack" by William P. Young...awesome read!
  • swisspea
    swisspea Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    A Thousand Splendid Sunsets. By the same Author as The Kite Runner. My favourite book, very sad though.

Absolutely amazing book! I second the vote for A Thousand Splendid Suns. Sometimes it's tough to read, but it's amazing!
  • KnightOwl
    Options
    I absolutely love anything by Tess Gerritsen. She does murder/criminal suspense books. Start from he beginning if you like to keep up with series or if you just want a taste of her work The Keepsake is my favorite. Other Favorites include:

Dear John by Nicholas Sparks (100x better than the movie)
    Bleachers by John Grisham (high school football story)
    A Million Little Pieces by James Frey (a kind-of memoir about a drug addict)
    Fire Bringer (If you like Watership Down, its like that but with deer)
    Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen
    Watchmen by Alan Moore (this is a graphic novel but I love the dark satiric style of Alan Moore)