Running/Jogging Questions

hill2302
hill2302 Posts: 139 Member
edited September 23 in Fitness and Exercise
I'm relatively new to running. Only up to a little over two miles. I try to run about 1-2x a week, more hopefully. I'd like to build up distance and speed over time. 1/2 marathon one day in the future? who knows. But here's my questions:

1) Is it better to run before or after you eat. I will sometimes run after work and before dinner and find myself tired and low on evergy. if I run after I eat, i sometimes feel loaded down.

2) Should I be loading up on water or any thing in particular before I run?

3) Should i be eating or drinking anything in particular after I run?

I guess these questions could apply to just exercise in general, couldn't they?

I'm really ignorant and clueless when it comes to nutrition.

thanks.

Replies

• kac7700
    kac7700 Posts: 125 Member
    I run quite a bit. For me, I have to have nothing to eat at least 2 hours before a run. If I have anything, a banana gives me nice slow release carbs that keep me going without fatigue up to 4-5 miles.

Don't drink too much before you run, it will slosh around and give you a sideache. It's all about properly fueling your body during the day or the night before so you have the energy stores available.

The best thing after a run is to have protien and carbs within an hour. Chocolate milk is the best post-run fuel (which is why you usually see that and bananas on the food table after a race!) Stay away from processed "sports drinks", milk will give you everything you need and it will fill you up and keep you from ravenously raiding the fridge!
  • tgh1914
    tgh1914 Posts: 1,036 Member
    I'm relatively new to running. Only up to a little over two miles. I try to run about 1-2x a week, more hopefully. I'd like to build up distance and speed over time. 1/2 marathon one day in the future? who knows. But here's my questions:

1) Is it better to run before or after you eat. I will sometimes run after work and before dinner and find myself tired and low on evergy. if I run after I eat, i sometimes feel loaded down.

2) Should I be loading up on water or any thing in particular before I run?

3) Should i be eating or drinking anything in particular after I run?

I guess these questions could apply to just exercise in general, couldn't they?

I'm really ignorant and clueless when it comes to nutrition.

thanks.

Hey there, fellow Houstonian,

1. For the most part it's better to eat after a run. But I think part of why you're feeling low on energy is that you've just got done spending energy at work & going about your day. I'd try having some light carbs before your run (banana, granola bar, energy drink). You don't want your system to have to work hard at digesting at the same time it's being asked to work out. You probably will hurt the digestion process as well.

2. Don't load up on anything before a run. Hopefully you're staying hydrated throughout the day. But a little water before is fine. Again, if you need an energy pick-me-up then have something for that purpose alone - nothing big.

3. After your run is when you'll want to eat. In fact, you have a 30-60 minute time window when it's best to re-fuel your system with a recovery drink or meal. If you can, have some kind of drink that gives you a 4:1 carb to protein ratio (low fat chocolate milk is my preference). Then a good meal after that would be perfect.

Good luck. By the way, I'm taking a guess that your profile pic is from Brenham, no?
  • Congrats on being able to run 2 miles! That's a great accomplishment. ;)

1) It is better for your body if you eat something small before running, especially if it's a morning run soon after you've woken up. It doesn't have to be a full breakfast, but just something like a granola bar or a a 1/2 serving of cereal. This will not only make you feel a bit better during your run, but will aid in boosting your metabolism for the day. As far as eating after a run: if it's a morning run you should eat your breakfast afterward. If it's later in the day there is really no need to eat after a run, unless your energy deficit for the day becomes to great due to what you've burned.

2. Before you run, you should drink at least 12oz. of water. Your body will begin using water very quickly as you run, and 12oz should get you through the 2 miles. Then be sure to drink another 12oz when your done running to replenish your system. Hydration is VERY important to your body regardless of physical activity, but even more important as you become more active. Dehydration will lead to serious issues, and serious pain. STAY HYDRATED

3. After you run it can be a good idea to substitute 6oz of the water I mentioned above for replenishment with 6oz of salt water (electrolyte). Just remember that there's no such thing as too much water (except in cases of drowning). ;) After all, your body is about 60% water.

You may also want to take a daily multivitamin. It's almost impossible to get the nutrients we need from the food that's available these days, but monitor your Vitamin A intake to make sure you don't consume too much. Unlike other nutrients Vitamin A is stored in the body and too much can lead to hypervitaminosis which can lead to kidney and liver damage. The danger zone for Vitamin A begins at around 3,500mcg/day. ;)

If you have any more questions I am here to try to answer them, and also here to keep you motivated and on target. :) Good luck.
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Welcome to the running community, it is addicting so beware!

In response to your questions:
    Always have something small (~200 calories) in you prior to a run. I like to eat about 1.5 to 2 hours before to avoid stomach pains but this is a very individual thing. If you cant get anything in or just decide to go for a run spur-of-the-moment, get some cliff shot blocks or any other kind of energy (carbohydrate) chews/gel to pop in 15 or so minutes before. They will give you enough fuel to get through several miles. Also, if you are running for longer than 45-60 mins, you can eat these chews at that point in your run to keep the energy levels sustained.

2) Should I be loading up on water or any thing in particular before I run? No this will make your tummy bloat or require bathroom breaks. Just drink normally during the day and you will be fine. After the run, drink a cup of water (or a protein shake) to replenish what you sweated out.

3) Should i be eating or drinking anything in particular after I run? I have had great success with optimum nutrition whey protein (extreme chocolate milk). It tastes good and is easy (just put a scoop in the cup, add water, shake, and enjoy). I used to get shakey post-run but this eliminates that and also gets rid of the energy drop after the run. Scientifically speaking, it helps repair your muscles.

If you have any other running questions, just ask.

AND if you haven't already, get FITTED with appropriate running shoes for your body and the way you run. Luke's Locker is great. This will save you tons of agony in the long run.

If you are in need for motivation, sign up for a 5k! Its a great challenge and with your mileage it is very do-able!

Happy Running!
  • hill2302
    hill2302 Posts: 139 Member
    tharrop, those pics are from Brenham. We try to make the yearly trip out there for pics of the girls. Gotta love Bluebonnett season.

I went to my local running shoe store and got fitted with a pair of New Balance. She said sometihing about needing some more stability and had me try on 4-5 pairs. They feel pretty good when I run. Hurt some on the outside of my feet the firt two times running in them, but they started to feel more comfortable after that.

I'll try the after run drinking. I usually just drink wanter afterwards or sometime G2 if we have some in the fridge. I like chocolate milk, so that would be easy.

I feel silly about eating something specifically for the run since it's such a short distance, but I guess the better I feel, then longer I can go. I'll try to put something like a banana or in my stomach before my next run.

Thanks for the advice.
This discussion has been closed.