P90X and Calorie intake

Options
I'm 5'8", ~180lbs and am set with a sedentary lifestyle (computer job) and to lose 2lbs a week. With that setup, MFP says to eat 1270 calories a day (not including exercise calories).

I started P90X (classic) yesterday and am wondering if I should reset my activity level to 'lightly active' or 'active' (to have more pre-exercise calories). I want to make sure I make gains in stamina and muscle (more tone than bulk) while still losing weight.

Thanks!

Replies

• BOGmama2010
    BOGmama2010 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Do you have the nutrition guide? For your weight/height you should eat about 1800 calories while doing P90X (even on the rest day). Set the ratios to follow the plan in the front of the guide as well. I started my second round at the same weight, an inch shorter, and about the same activity level and lost 25 lbs. :)
  • beasty77
    Options
    I wouldn't.

Leave your activity level where it is. Then count the p90x time in addition to that.

Upping your activity level (in the app) would be an artificial boost that you aren't really getting (unless you do p90 all day!).

Best to skew low in the app, rev high in real life. You will get to where you want to be faster if you do this. And your body composition is going to come out the same regardless of what settings you make in the app
  • jennyfair24
    jennyfair24 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I would say to reset it to either of those. I've done two rounds of P90X and they're intense workouts. You'll need some extra calories to fuel your workouts so you don't crash in the middle of it. Just make sure its the right kind of calories. Healthy, nutritious meals and snacks. If you have any questions about the workouts or anything, feel free to send me a message :smile:
  • bmr5770
    bmr5770 Posts: 13
    Options
    Thanks! For the 1800 calories, is that including the exercise calories?
  • andreapoole
    andreapoole Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Don't change your lifestyle activity level. Just enter your exercise separately. The calories you burn every day include BMR, lifestyle, and exercise. This calculator determines how many calories you need to maintain BMR and lifestyle...exercise is additional.
  • bopper
    bopper Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I was kind of confused about that too. Mine says I should eat 1320 calories a day. I'm 5'8" tall too and go between 153 and 155 and I thought that wasn't enough food during my P90X. I don't have the chart or food info from my P90X because I got mine from a friend and they didn't have any of that info. Should mine have been higher also. I may do another round after a little while. Thanks. Oh and I am a stay at home wife, but I don't sit all day watching TV., I snow-shoe, and workout, and do house stuff.
  • foyboy
    foyboy Posts: 49
    Options
    I'm finding it pretty confusing as well.

I'm trying to follow the p90x guidelines from the nutrition guide, and maintain my calorie intake with MFP. Sometimes I may not be exact in terms of how many proteins or carbs I'm allowed, but I try to keep my calories on target. The p90x guideline part keeps me in line of a healthier, more balanced way of getting my calories in.

Also, P90X suggested I be on level 3 which was like 3,500 calories a day, but I just couldn't do it. I'm trying to be at the 1,800 mark, plus exercise calories from time to time. I'm 6'2" and 270 lbs.
  • BOGmama2010
    BOGmama2010 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    The 1800 calories is all inclusive - I don't burn 500-600 calories like the guide says. I burn about 300-400 in the workouts and I didn't add that to the 1800. Hope that helps.