Personal preferance for amount of weight resistance

aschr690
aschr690 Posts: 41 Member
edited September 23 in Fitness and Exercise
Hey! I have recently started weight lifting at the gym, and was curious as to how much weight resistance I should work up to. I don't want to be super muscley or anything, just a nice toned, yet not weak look haha. Any suggestions on how much I should do so I don't get too bulky? The first few times I did 10lbs, and today I did 20 which was relatively difficult.

Replies

• if u want to tone rather than gain muscle you need to be doing more reps at a lighter weight , rather than more weight less reps ..

as a guide . if i want to gain muscle i would only be doing about 3 sets of 5 reps max ..at whatever weight i could just about manage ( last set would be agony).
    to tone i would look to do three sets of 12-15 reps it should burn but not be impossible . xx hope that helps
  • jlewis2896
    jlewis2896 Posts: 763 Member
    I think it will depend on what kind of exercise you are doing. Don't worry about getting bulky -- you basically have to be TRYING to get big to get big. The general rule of thumb to building lean muscle is a lot of repetitions with a lower weight. So, say, do 15 repetitions of a bicep curl with your 10 to 20 lbs. The first several should be pretty easy, but your last three should be harder.

After you do 15, rest for a minute, or work a different muscle group, then come back and do it again. Change weights if the second set is too difficult. The nice thing about weight training is there is no hard and fast rules starting out. Just get your body used to the movements. I generally try to do three sets of each move and I don't break. I'll work biceps, then triceps, then quads then calves, then repeat.
  • Hi there,

I'm not an expert but my fiance is a personal trainer and has got me doing a lot of functional weight training (free weights as opposed to using a machine). Free weights are more beneficial as they require you to use your core muscles for strength rather than just working one muscle group.

I do 3 x sets of 10 x reps at the highest weight I can manage, starting at the highest then dropping down if I absoloutely must. It totally depends on your own strength, e.g. my other half is super strong but lifts as much as he can, I'm not super strong but still lift my maximum. So, I guess I am trying to say that you just increase as you progress until you are happy with the amount of toning. It's only been a week for me and I am already feeling the result and I haven't become Arnie overnight (although I'd settle for Davina's arms!!) The other benefit of building muscle is that you will burn more calories as well...bonus!

It would probably be best overall though for you to talk to a fitness expert at your gym as they will recommend exercises specifically for you.

Enjoy :)
  • aschr690
    aschr690 Posts: 41 Member
    Thanks for the replys! I was doing four reps of twelve and it was getting pretty difficult towards the end.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    you will not get big and bulky. no need to worry. It is Physically IMPOSSIBLE to gain that much muscle while in a catabolic state (calorie deficit, which I assume you are in since you are trying to lose weight.). You can tone up and get lean and fit but NOT bulky, unless you are eating at or ABOVE maintenance and tons of protein.

You should lift as much weight as you can handle. The last rep should be to the point of failure. Like, there's no possible way you could do even ONE more. If you find yourself counting them out easy and plopping the weight down thinking you may be able to do 5 more, then you aren't really accomplishing anything. Pick up a heavier weight and go till you can't.
This discussion has been closed.