Chinese food?

Options
I'll be going out for Chinese food tonight with my family (at an all-you-can-eat buffet). I like Chinese food, but I haven't eaten it since I started watching my calories. Hmmm... any suggestions about what might be healthy and low-cal (and not spicy), but enough to get my money's worth? :happy:

Replies

• spacecase76
    spacecase76 Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    beware! Chinese food tends to have a lot of sodium!

You can probably type in "Chinese" on your food log, and there should be lots of choices there, maybe find the foods that are least damaging, and go armed with a plan :)

GL!
  • louisee294
    louisee294 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Hiya,

This is a tricky one, but generally I would say avoid sugary sweet sauces and fried stuff! Good things include the soup, boiled/ steamed rice, anything with loads of green veg in it.
  • gehlerc
    gehlerc Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Good luck with that. I'll be watching for responses as well, since Chinese food is my 14-year-old's favorite, and we (also) haven't had it since I started on this thing I'm calling a "journey" rather than a "d---."
  • skygoddess86
    skygoddess86 Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Chinese food is evil. I say just enjoy but in moderation and drink a ton of water.
  • DS13
    DS13 Posts: 136
    Options
    A lot of it will be high in sodium, but I'm not against having it once in awhile. It's hard to find anything healthy at a chinese buffet, but I'd reccomend getting white rice instead of fried. Avoid the breaded meats like general tso's chicken because most places have more breading than they do meat. Most places also have steamed vegetables like broccoli & carrots etc. And eat the meat that has no bread like roasted chicken or steamed fish. That's about all I can think of right now.
  • tluttrell
    tluttrell Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Start out with soup for sure. Hot and sour is a good choice.
  • orange_avocado
    Options
    I agree with spacecase - sodium will get you with Chinese! So drink loooots of water today and order water or decaf tea when you go out. Be prepared for a little jump in your weight if you're weighing in tomorrow, but don't worry too much, it' just bloating and will even out in a day or two.

Since it's a buffet you don't have to worry about picking just one dish, so experiment a little! Pick foods that are loaded with vegetables and lean meats (chicken and pork mostly). Avoid carbs like lo-mein, wontons, egg rolls and rice because they'll be a lot heavier, calorie-wise. Or, just get a tiny sample to whet your taste then stay away.

Have fun! I ordered-in chinese last night and it was a treat! But back to the gym and water today! :drinker:
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    When I go to a chinese all you can eat I make it my cheat day. I usually end up eatin bout 2 plates full with small portioned size amounts of different foods. I don't worry bout it bc I know I want gain any weight @ most a lb. if I do, which will easily come off. I make sure I eat healthy that day. If you are worried about what to eat go directly to the fruits and veggies area and fill up your plate with them. If you are still hungry after that then go for protein in rich foods. Like the chicken. I don't eat at chinese buffets that often and when I do, I let loose and not care bc I know that I am goin to treat myself well. I don't overeat I just eat until I am 80% full. I also always get some puddin/koolwhip/banana dessert. Just order water drink your water thru out and even before you start eatin. It will help you fill up.
  • forestdancers
    forestdancers Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    When I am being vigilant I stick to beef and broccoli or vegitable or chicken chop suey (the bean sprout kind).

However since Chinese food is a rare treat I just accept my cheat day and enjoy whatever I like and get back on the wagon the next day.
  • MochaMixAZ
    MochaMixAZ Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    Agree with what most folks have said - the sodium will kill your weight tomorrow, but it will go away when you recalibrate. Drink lots of water.

I found little in this realm is low cal, but have had the best results with:
    - Subbing brown rice for white, if possible
    - Ask for steamed veggies
    - Unfortunately most things wok'd are high in oil, but you can ask for light oil
    - Beef with broccoli, and ask for light on the sauce
    - I've had great results when I've just asked for what I wanted: wok'd chicken (not battered), steamed or wok'd veggies, little or no oil for the wok (chicken stock is great), no sauce, and brown rice. Then I just add the soy sauce myself.

Good luck!
  • SoldierWife99
    Options
    I'd go with mostly steamed vegi's and teriyaki chicken With Out the sauce(!), but I'd still have a few "tastes" of my other favorites. Eat slow, drink the green tea, bust most importantly, enjoy your time out with your family! ☺
  • emmyvera
    emmyvera Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I love to go out to Chinese and if you enjoy it, you should enjoy it once in a while. It is good to get out there and enjoy something and not feel deprived.

I have done a little research on this for when I have gone in the past. I personally try to stay away from anything with soy sauce or high in sodium, which (I know) is a lot of what is on the buffet.

This is what I get:
    Won Ton Soup
    1 Spring Roll
    Sushi (2-4 pieces)
    1 or 2 Crab Rangoon
    Maybe just a very small portion of Sesame Chicken or Broccoli

And on a day where I do eat Chinese, I drink plenty of water :)

The food search has quite a few options for Chinese. I go in and log my food first, then take a list with me. I know it sounds kinda OCD, but that way I stick to it and I can enjoy it. :bigsmile:
  • blakgarnet
    Options
    my all you can eat chinese buffet has SUSHI! I think I get my money's worth and get a good dose of protein by sticking with that. I also try to eat only the veggies in the stir fries.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    NO, IT’S ALL EVIL. Waa ha ha ;)

Even the garlic broccoli is covered with fat, calories not to mention sodium and that’s a bucket of broccoli, the one item that actually looks healthy.

When I am being healthy at the Mandarin I eat a lot of garden salad, fruit and cucumber-avocado sushi. You just have to avoid the rest.

If you can have a treat meal, do that since then you won’t get so angry at yourself for being so restrictive. It is possible to have some fun while being healthy ;)
  • Jana114
    Options
    Wow!!! Thanks for all the great suggestions, everyone! It's great to know there are healthy options there, but it's also nice to relax and just enjoy dinner, too! :love:
  • CeejayGee
    CeejayGee Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Do they have a non-buffet option? Some places will also serve you an actual entree. If so, go for a soup and steamed veggies.

Chicken Terriyaki is low cal.
    Choose brown rice
    Sushi is pretty good
    Crab legs are usually on those buffets and are low-cal so long as you don't dip in butter.
    Same with Shrimp.

Avoid egg rolls, spring rolls, wontons, sesame chicken, orange chicken, general tso's chicken, sweet n sour chicken, and all others that are fried, then put in sauce.