Eating with coworkers

Options
Has anyone dealt with this before? I am in a job that is team oriented so my team goes out to lunch together every day, sometimes for dinner. It is usually fast places around the office. Sometimes, I want to bring lunch, but that is hard when everyone else is going out to eat. Should I still go buy food with them as I have been doing or should i start packing lunch? I feel like it is much more healthier to prepare it myself and know calorie content then to go eat at the food court near our office. Also, want to be a part of the team instead of staying back by myself/eating in the office.

Replies

• JeanMargaret
    Options
    I'm gonna be brutally honest. At the end of the day, when you're at home calculating calories and figuring out what kinda energy you need to burn to be within range and lose some weight or reach whatever fitness goals you have, are they there with you, cheering you on? Are they there while you feel the excitement OR the disappointment?

Basically, it's about what YOU want. Is it more important for you to show them that you want to be part of their bad eating habits, OR is it more important for you to do what you know is better for you and see the benefits?

I'm not saying anything to you that I've not had to come to grips with myself. I choose to be the "outcast". It's all left up to others' interpretation, but I know why I'm doing what I'm doing and they don't have to fight those fat pounds or those junk food demons for me, I have to fight them for myself.

What's it worth to you?

*Stay strong*

Jean
  • PonyTailedLoser
    PonyTailedLoser Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I really like your reply Jean. It may seem unsocial but I generally eat by myself t work. I can be content with my veggies and hummus at lunch but it doesn't seem as good when I can smell their french fries goodness wafting towards me.
  • Mikiki_x
    Options
    I eat my healthy bits with all my colleagues, they all get the food from the canteen, but even if I wasn't dieting I wouldn't go near it haha
  • LauraMcGanity
    Options
    Is there any way you can pack your own lunch, eat it in the office, then join your co-workers for a diet soda or glass of mineral water?
  • krislati
    Options
    I have the same issue. It's so tough but I agree with other posters, you have to do this for you! If you have the willpower, you can pack your lunch and bring it with you to be social. But you have to be able to say no to the temptation of the fries, I can not, so I will stay behind.
  • BrentGetsFit
    BrentGetsFit Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    My co-workers and I are usually on the road and stop at various eateries but there's no real pattern so it's tough to be prepared. If I've brought my lunch I'll sit in the car and eat it. If I haven't I'll go in and order the healthiest thing I can get. I had a sweet moment of victory one day when we went into a burger joint and I got a grilled chicken sandwich while they got the big burgers. I whipped out the trusty MFP app and entered my lunch and they asked me to calculate theirs. Guess who was smiling all the way back to the office, lol.
  • poisongirl6485
    poisongirl6485 Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    My department will order in food for delivery a couple times a week...I just try to pick something healthier off the menu (we get Jason's Deli a lot so it's relatively easy), or I'll save up my calories from the day so I totally don't have a crap day.

A lot of the time I'll also just bring my own food to work. Nobody really cares either way if I do/don't order in with them. They're pretty encouraging too, so it's nice.
  • lizb59
    lizb59 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Eating out every day? What do the rest of your co-workers look like? Are they overweight? I was hanging out with a group at work that went out every week. I had to tap out because they always wanted to go to places with high-calorie foods. So I'm not part of the group - big deal! If you want to be sociable, go out ONCE a week and get a salad or low-calorie meal. The rest of the week - make sure you look out for #1 - yourself! Instead of eating at your desk all by your lonesome - go outside with you sandwich and take a little walk. You can do it!
  • lizb59
    lizb59 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    @Brent - 50 pounds lost? Good for you!
  • believeandtry
    believeandtry Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    thank you for your replies! the frustrating thing is that all my coworkers are naturally thin and do not worry about where/what they eat. i will put myself first!