Low sodium cottage cheese?

Options
utes09
utes09 Posts: 561 Member
So I love cottage cheese and I usually buy the brand Darigold, their fat free kind. It has 17% sodium (410 mg) and to me that's quite high. Anyone know of others that are fat free but less sodium?

Thanks.

Replies

• glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,615 Member
    Options
    They sell Lucerne no salt added cottage cheese at Vons (which is also Pavilions and Safeway).

I know they sell Friendship(?) at Whole Foods.

I <3 low sodium cottage cheese. :smile:

Oh! It's not fat free but the fat is so low it's really nothing to worry about.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I have found that the less fat it has, the more sodium they put in it. Fat free is especially riddled with it.

I like 1% whipped by Friendship. It has an 'ok' amount of sodium per 1/2 cup serving (300-something) and it tastes great. A little fat is definitely ok anyway!
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    My local grocery store has fat free cottage cheese in the store brand (Kroger) that is 380mg/serving (I think... I know it's in the 3-hundreds). Not a ton lower than yours I've also seen no-salt-added cottage cheese, but to be honest it was pretty gross. The texture was off and it just wasn't good at all.

I've found that if I watch what I eat most of the day, I can have a few higher sodium items (like cottage cheese) without sending me over. It's all about balance. :smile:
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    I have found that the less fat it has, the more sodium they put in it. Fat free is especially riddled with it.

I like 1% whipped by Friendship. It has an 'ok' amount of sodium per 1/2 cup serving (300-something) and it tastes great. A little fat is definitely ok anyway!

Yes - I bought a huge container of fat free once. It was so salty I couldn't eat it. Next time it will be lower fat but not no fat.
  • utes09
    Options
    I may look at lower fat instead of fat free to see the difference. I can burn off the calorie difference pretty easy I'm sure.

Guess today I'm more concerned because I am going out for lunch and therefore the sodium is high from that food.

It is about balance and this one day won't hurt me. Plus I drink water like no other.

Just wondered if anyone had any ideas for lower sodium cottage cheese. Thanks everyone!
  • utes09
    Options

I think it was within an Eat This! Not That! newsletter it pointed this out. That going for reduced fat or fat free items (I think their example highlighted wheat thins) while yes they are lower in fat (by a certain percentage) they are usually higher in sugar or sodium.
  • bauhausfrau
    bauhausfrau Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Lucerne, Hood & Friendship are brands that I know of with a no salt added version, and found in mainstream grocery stores. It isn't as delicious, but I can't feel good about eating 1/3 of my daily sodium content in one tiny, snack-sized portion of cottage cheese. I typically use cottage cheese as a veggie dip. I mix a salt free seasoning blend, or salad dressing mix into the container as soon as I get home and let the flavors blend in the refrigerator. It tastes pretty darn delicious. If you aren't very low carb, mix it with fruit slices (peaches or bananas are my fave), or natural chunky applesauce to improve flavor & texture. I actually prefer the texture of the mid-range fat versions (although I haven't found that in an unsalted version). I like 4% instead of fat free, 1% or 2%, and it only has 20-30 more calories per serving.

p.s. bodybuilders eat it before bed because they say it prevents muscle loss during the sleeping fast. just fyi.
  • feedmelife
    Options
    Honestly, If you drink you say you drink enough water throughout the day you should not worry so much about your sodium intake. I've also seen some recent studies done about sodium that it showing its health effects are not as bad as we commonly believe.
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    I eat:

Land O'Lakes 4% milk-fat minimum, made w/ sea salt 1/3 less sodium, small curd.

1/2 Cup (113g) 110 calories
    Total Fat: 5g
    Sat. Fat: 3g
    Trans Fat: 0g
    Cholesterol: 25g
    Sodium: 280mg (most cottage cheese brands are 400mg+)
    Total Carb: 5g
    Fiber: 0g
    Sugars: 4g
    Protein 12g

Vit A: 4% dv
    Vit. C: 0%
    Calcium: 8% dv
    Iron: 0%
  • DivaLuvsDisney
    DivaLuvsDisney Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I eat Daisy 2% cottage cheese. It has 90 calories and 360mg of sodium for 113g serving. The ingredient list is very short compared to the majority of other brands.

Daisy 2% ingredients: Cultured Skim Milk, Cream, Salt, Vitamin A Palmitate

Hood regular ingredients: CULTURED PASTEURIZED SKIM MILK, MILK, CREAM, WHEY PROTEIN CONCENTRATE, SALT, WHEY, NATURAL FLAVOR, XANTHAN GUM, LOCUST BEAN GUM, GUAR GUM, SORBIC ACID AND CARBON DIOXIDE (TO MAINTAIN FRESHNESS)
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    I eat cottage cheese daily. Good stuff. The low sodium versions I couldn't even swallow, horrid IMO.