Calorie Counting and Breastfeeding

Options
So I am trying to watch my calories but I am also breastfeeding... The my fitness pal suggested suggested 1200 calories a day for me... because I am breastfeeding I bumped it up to 1600... giving me an extra 400 calories, does that sound about right? I don't want to over do it, but I also do not want to under do it either.

Replies

• Amandac6772
    Amandac6772 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    I would check wit the doctor...too few calories and your milk could dry up.
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I believe you need to be eating 2000-2500 calories perday
  • poeticpurl
    poeticpurl Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I would check with the dr. But agree with myastyme and you need around 2000-2500. I have been reading up and getting pregnate and the books i have read say you need around 400 more calories than when you were preg.
  • freddiesmyfirst
    Options
    Hi, I'm breastfeeding too and if I drop under 1600 cals it's really hard work feeding my baby. It's not gradual either - if I don't eat enough one day, the next I'll have a hungry baby all day and that's not fair on him :-( I believe you need around 500 extra calories but obviously this will differ from person to person. It hard trying to get healthy while breastfeeding, friend me if you want some BF/weight loss support!
    Kate x
  • jrlenig
    jrlenig Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    it is 500 extra calories if you are excuslivesly breast feeding if your baby is on foods too you should cut that in half. Good luck and have a great day! ( I breastfed 2 children one for over a year and the other of 10 months)