Everything in moderation

Options
2»

Replies

• Eilonwy74
    Options
    I've had no luck with true "dieting" in the past. Trying to cut out all the good things, eat like a bird, cut all carbs, all that. It never works for me. So now I'm just on a reduced calorie plan. Maybe this is a really bad idea, but it means if I'm hanging out with my boyfriend, who eats all kinds of horrible delicious stuff, then I can have a little. Not as much as I used to. (The other night he made home-style mac and cheese and smoked sausage. How can you say no to that? I didn't. I ate about 3/4 cup of mac and cheese and three very small pieces of the sausage. It wasn't too damaging, according to the calorie counter here. I didn't kill my diet, and I was very happy I didn't have to give any of it up.)

When I'm by myself for dinner, I'm usually a little better. Low fat high protein meat and veggies. This is mostly what I was cooking for myself before I came on MFP.

Basically, I think whatever kind of diet you can stick to is the best thing for each individual. I can keep to under 1,400 calories a day and get all the nutrients I need and still have chocolate and some occasional cheese. Maybe some people see mac and cheese coming at them and all restraint goes out the window, so they just leave it alone all together. Whatever works best for you. But for me, I agree: everything in moderation.
  • oneof9
    oneof9 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I don't give up what I like. I just do more exercise, or what until I have a cheat day to eat what I want. I've done other diets and I can't stick with them. I just count calories and work out. That seems to be the best thing for me.
    I like the fact that you can be on what ever diet you want to be and still get help from others to encourage you on.
    i wish you the best and don't stop baking. I have a great recipe for a sheet cake with chocolate frosting. All made from scratch. Believe me I eat just a small portion and give the rest to the guys at work.
    Keep going and don't stop loosing weight.
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    Bump...cause I saw something troublesome
  • welly5
    welly5 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    bump!!

I also wanted to add that in watching what I eat i've just naturally cut down on carbs because I never want to waste my calories on them when I could be having a bit more meat or a bit more cheese
  • marieisthecool
    marieisthecool Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I'm with you! I keep healthy for the most part, but I'm not about to trade in craft beer for bud light. on days that I want something sweet or want to go out drinking, I just excercise more and eat lower calorie foods through out the rest of the day.
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way. I am finding that I need to alter what I eat because I wasn't getting anywhere near the right balance before, but I'm not going to deny myself a couple of tortilla chips or a cookie just because I'm "on a diet." For me, if I cut those things out completely, it's going to be hard to stick to my weight-loss plan. So I just add in what I'm going to eat on my food diary so that I know how much it's "costing" me, and that helps me keep my portions in check. Everyone is different though, and if the temptation is too great and you know you can't just stop at "just one" or whatever, then do what works for you.
  • welly5
    Options
    I'm the same way. I am finding that I need to alter what I eat because I wasn't getting anywhere near the right balance before, but I'm not going to deny myself a couple of tortilla chips or a cookie just because I'm "on a diet." For me, if I cut those things out completely, it's going to be hard to stick to my weight-loss plan. So I just add in what I'm going to eat on my food diary so that I know how much it's "costing" me, and that helps me keep my portions in check. Everyone is different though, and if the temptation is too great and you know you can't just stop at "just one" or whatever, then do what works for you.

That's a good way of putting it (calories costing you)

I always tell my bf that I've "saved up" for popcorn or dim sum or whatever. I just plan my meals around the fact that I'm going to be having a treat
  • amysambora
    Options
    Can I just say I am in love with this thread :) So many sensible people! :happy:
  • WhitneyW78
    WhitneyW78 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    For sure!!

Eating what I want in moderation is the only method of weight loss I've been able to sustain. If I restrict a food, I'm more likely to binge on it when I'm having a bad day. I have to have the attitude that all food is okay and I can eat it if I stay within my calorie count to not freak out.
  • welly5
    Options
    Bump bump bump
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    Bump :flowerforyou:
  • welly5
    Options
    Time to revive this and find more people who believe in moderation!
  • umduh1
    umduh1 Posts: 11
    Options
    I'm fairly new here, but this is the best thread I've read in a while!
    Good to see so many like-minded people.
    And the comment about calories "costing you...", that's exactly how I think fo it, too.
    You know where you stand for the day, and what you can do around that to not be hungry the rest of the day.

Yes, yes, yes...keep up the good work, everyone!