I quit smoking and gained 15 lbs.... Have tried everything a

Options
I work out almost every day.... Have started this counting calories etc 5 days and havent lost a lb. I am staying within my calories etc... Dont know what I am doing wrong.

Replies

• punkrawkcutie
    punkrawkcutie Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Nicotine is a stimulant so it probably messed with your metabolism a little bit. When did you quit?
  • bstiver
    bstiver Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Congrats on quitting. I quit almost 8 weeks ago and gained 15 too, so I feel your pain
  • beasty77
    Options
    Scale weight is not the only thing to look at when considering progress. You would also do well to take photos and measurements of your body, including bodyfat %. When I go into a hardcore cycle I almost always lose scale weight very slowly, but am still making progress due to the fact that muscle weighs more than fat.
  • ajwd40
    ajwd40 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Don't get too discouraged, 5 days isn't that much time for your body to respond. Keep at your calorie counting, I think that giving it a little more time will help. :smile:
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    OK whatever you do don't pick them up again. I quit 2 years ago and then 6 mo ago picked them up again after a 30 lb weight gain. Now I have to quit and lose weight. Just stick with it. Smokes have so much crap in them they do screw with your metabolism. Hang in there it'll get better. Try jogging to trick your body. That's what I did. :) I'll jump on the non-smoking wagon with you again soon. :)
  • espadrew
    Options
    Dont get discouraged. You have just begun a journey towards health. A small weight gain in the short term will be more than offset by the benefits accrued by quitting smoking. If you have been smoking for a long time it will take time for your body to recover from the negative effects of smoking. In the long run, your heart and lungs will thank you. One day at a time.