Martin Luther King - Day of Service

JakeNonne
JakeNonne Posts: 74 Member
edited September 23 in Chit-Chat
I realize this is totally off topic and not fitness related but a lot of my MFPeeps have kids. I came up this information and activity so families can discuss why the Martin Luther King Day of Service is important and what we can do to make America better for each other.

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. once said, "Life's most persistent and urgent question is: 'What are you doing for others?'" Today is great day to sit down with your family to discuss what Dr. King did for our country and African Americans and what your family can do to help and serve others. Here are some talking points to help facilitate your family discussion and to formulate a service activity.

Who was Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.?

* A Baptist Minister who became a civil rights activist at the age of 26.
* Fought for equal rights for African Americans.
* Received the Nobel Prize in 1964 for his work to end racial discrimination and racial segregation.
* Believed in civil disobedience of unjust laws through non-violent protest.
* Assassinated in 1968 at the age of 39.
* "I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character." - from Dr. King's "I Have a Dream" Speech
* Dr. King's "I Have a Dream" speech at the March on Washington facilitated the passage of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 which outlawed discrimination against African Americans and women, racial segregation, unfair voter registration, and school and workplace segregation.

Discussion Topics - choose two or three topics to discuss

* What is racial segregation? Prior to the Civil Rights Act of 1964, African Americans were not allowed to eat in white-only diners, ride in the front part of a bus, had to give up their seat to a white person on a bus, and had separate drinking fountains, bathrooms and schools.
* What is racial discrimination? Give some examples. Discrimination is treating people differently because they look different, speak a different language, live in a different area, practice a different religion, etc.
* Have you been in a situation where you felt out of place or uncomfortable? Give an example.
* What does it mean to be tolerant?
* What would you do if you saw another child being discriminated against because he/she is different (e.g., harassed, bullied or teased)?

Family Service Suggestions - ask your child for ideas or ask them to choose an idea from the list below:

* Babysit for a friend, family or neighbor.
* Wash a neighbor's car.
* Pick up trash at a park, beach or school.
* Plant a tree or flowers in your neighborhood or community center.
* Make a garden for a neighbor or your grandparents.
* Help clean up a neighbor's or your grandparents' garage.
* Take some toys, books and clothes to a local charity or women's shelter.
* Collect some food from your neighbors and donate it to a food bank.
* Collect some dog and cat food from your neighbors and donate it to seniors for their pets.
* Walk or bathe the neighbor's dog.
* Feed the homeless.
* Bake some special treats for a neighbor.
* Visit a senior citizens center: perform a skit or read to those who lost their vision.
* Read to some younger children in the neighborhood or local library.

Replies

This discussion has been closed.