PCOS ? for the ladies

Options
Okay, so my doc says that my rapid weight gain was because I have PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome). I was always a super skinny kid, then one day when I was like 22 or 23 years old, I started gaining weight like crazy! I went from never weighing more than 120 lbs to getting up to 190 lbs in a few weeks. Now the weight it stuck and I was prescribed metformin. I've been taking it for 3 years and it does nothing for me. I've researched this PCOS and it says that most women with it have a really hard time losing weight, but if we lose weight, it would help to control the other symptoms. So, my question is, how do you lose weight when the fat is being so stubborn? I know diet and exercise helps, but I need to know what else I can do.

Replies

• RACHEALMARIE
    Options
    Okay, so my doc says that my rapid weight gain was because I have PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome). I was always a super skinny kid, then one day when I was like 22 or 23 years old, I started gaining weight like crazy! I went from never weighing more than 120 lbs to getting up to 190 lbs in a few weeks. Now the weight it stuck and I was prescribed metformin. I've been taking it for 3 years and it does nothing for me. I've researched this PCOS and it says that most women with it have a really hard time losing weight, but if we lose weight, it would help to control the other symptoms. So, my question is, how do you lose weight when the fat is being so stubborn? I know diet and exercise helps, but I need to know what else I can do.
  • time2wrk
    time2wrk Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    Oh man, oh man, how frustrating! I don't have any words of wisdom on this, unfortunately. Diet and exercise DO help anything, but I am not sure if the results will be different than anyone else due to your condition. Know that if you do decide to do the "slow and steady" weightloss thing on this website, we will all be supporting you!
  • Loretta_Jo
    Loretta_Jo Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    Hello and Welcome it is good to meet you.
    The best thing you can do is go to a gym and talk with a personal trainer. They will be able to help you get started with out killing yourself first thing right out of the box. I have seen way too many people get in there and hit it hard in the gym and before you know it they have quit totally. The diet and the work out. A trainer should be able to help you with any problem areas and know what is best for you and your condition.
    Hang in there and always remember we are here for you.
    Loretta :flowerforyou:
  • kjllose
    kjllose Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    hey i feel for you, my two daughters have it too and they have a big problem losing weight too.. I've never heard of metformin but I don't do their doctors visits with them, they are too old for that. My oldest takes belly dancing, water aerobics and a step class and she hasn't lost much but she is well toned. My youngest lost the most when she was doing a straight out cardio dance class but the moment she stopped the weight came back. But don't feel alone because there are alot of people out there with this. I'd keep trying this site and see what it does for you. We'll all be pulling for you. Yell out and we'll answer. ~Karen
  • NTBoard
    NTBoard Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I am sorry you are dealing with PCOS. I took Metformin a number of years ago as I had many symptoms of PCOS although they were not able to diagnose me with it. Anyway, have you tried a low carb diet? I understand that it is a very effective plan for PCOS resistant weight. There is also a book called the “PCOS Diet Book” but I’m not sure how good it is. You might do a search for online PCOS support groups and see if there is some better information there… Also, what dose of Metformin are you taking? Any chance of upping your dose to see if that might help a little??? Best of luck to you Racheal! You can do this!!!

+++POSITIVE THOUGHTS+++!!! :flowerforyou:
    Niccole
  • tdroseler
    Options
    Be more stubborn than the fat??

I think in the end that is what it will boil down to... Just keep plugging away at it, don't be afraid to try new things, cause you never know what might work.
    Certainly things like drinking lots (8+) of water, exercising within your aerobic zone, finding proffessionals that can guide you, whatever it takes.

The Metformin is to help your insulin work properly, im guessing. Since you have and abundace of fat around your cells, it is harder for the insulin to get through, creating a condition known as Insulin Resistance. Although it is incredibly similar to Type 2 Diabetes, it is different, and often associated with PCOS.

My Dr had thought that was what i had as well. I deffinatly have the IR...which has by now become full blown Adult Onset Type 1 Diabetes. Although we are confident that should i loose the weight i need to, then i will no longer have either disorder.
    Anyways, I finally came to a point where i asked myself, what was i willing to do to take back my life? And i do whatever i can think of . So far i am seeing progress.

It is not easy to do...but then nothing worth doing is easy, is it?

We are always here to help, just let us know. It is the support of people like those on here that will get you through the rough spots...

Keep coming back, and good luck!!!
  • nancym
    nancym Posts: 49
    Options
    :love: Hey RachaelMarie!
    Sorry about your PCOS. I too have heard that a "lo" carb diet is very helpful. I prefer "controlled" carb.
    Control your carbohydrates to 20 or less for 2 weeks, then gradually start adding them back in, 5 every 2 weeks until the weight loss slows dramatically.
    Having said this, it can be hard. But you seem motivated and with all your wonderful friends here, we will cheer you on.
    With hypoglycemia as my fairly new best friend, I am on a controlled carb diet and am up to 45 carbs per day. No wheat (fortunately I also have a wheat allergy) and little grain, lots of salads and a few other veggies and fruits.
    Dr Atkins book is still the definitive book, with the best organized and documented information I have found on controlling carbs.
    Good luck. Prayers for your health and hope for your efforts. I like the one that says be more stubborn than the fat. That is a good one.
    Keep us posted.
    NancyM