Carbs... after 2pm bad?

Options
1113cw
1113cw Posts: 830 Member
Hi there..

I've always done well in the past with limiting my carbs. Not cutting them out completely keeping them down to a minimum, and only good carbs, with the bulk of my calories coming from lean protein and veggies. I just got The 17 Day Diet book and although I did not realize the first 2 cycles (first 44 days were NO carbs at all, good bad or indifferent) I am attempting to follow it with some modifications.

One of the rules is that even when carbs are allowed, they shouldn't be consumed after 2pm in the day.

Myth or fact?

Replies

• sharoniballoni
    sharoniballoni Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Every diet has different methods of helping you lose weight. Cutting carbs is definitely one method that works, but I personally cannot and will not live without carbs. I simply do my best to avoid consuming highly processed carbs. I eat a lot of oatmeal, brown rice, beans, and veggies that technically are not allowed on low carb diets. However, they are SO healthy. I think eating a lot of fiber is essential and high protein diets can lack in that dept.

Yes, I notice an uptick in the scale after eating pasta, but that's bloat/water retention. It goes away.
  • RaeN81
    RaeN81 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I'm going to go with myth here. Carbohydrates are some of the essential building blocks of food and they appear in varying quantities in most foods. The trouble with rules like this one is that they set a near impossible standard that gets pretty discouraging over time. What if you want milk or a bun with supper? Moderation in all areas may not get instant results but it will be something you can maintain over the long haul.
  • katschi
    katschi Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    IMHO ... myth.
    Just as "eating after 7 pm is bad for you."
    Tell that to all the slim Europeans who don't eat dinner until 8ish and onward.

Calories are calories. If you eat within your range for losing weight, you'll lose weight regardless of when you've eaten them.
  • 1113cw
    1113cw Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    Hence my modifications to the diet :laugh:

I do eat some carbs.. .mainly good complex carbs... brown rice, oatmeal, 100% whole grain bread etc. I have no intention of cutting them out completely. They are so healthy.. and plus I'm downright cranky with no carbs whatsoever... :smile:

But mainly my question is the timing that you eat them. This plan proposes that any carbs consumed late in the day (after 2pm) are likely to be stored as fat, not burned off. Just wondering if that was a myth or not. All the different plans out there and all their rules.. sooo confusing!
  • aethorne
    Options
    I had a trainer tell me that you should eat your carbs earlier in the day and not at night. Due to the fact that you're body needs the energy from the carbs in the morning and early afternoon and not at night cause you're not doing as much. I actually tried doing no heavy carbs (pasta, bread, potatoes, etc) with my dinner or after and I have to say that it actually worked. I did lose weight. This meant that dinner was usually salad or something but I did see results.
  • sharoniballoni
    sharoniballoni Posts: 163 Member
    Options

Dr. Weil is a genius and here are his thoughts on carbs.