knowing when the calories are correct

Options
Ok, having been down this road before, I understand the importance of getting the right amount of calories. But, my question is how do you truly know your calorie count when you aren't cooking the food yourself? For example, I had stuffed crab for dinner and when I went to put in my calorie count, I got numbers ranging from 100 to 350 per serving. How in the heck are we supposed to know what is really true? I mean, that is a huge spread and could be detrimental if not counted correctly.

Replies

• theatr3geek
    Options
    I have this problem too! I usually just go with the higher calorie one, for benefit of the doubt, but I would rather KNOW what I'm actually eating.
  • lstreeter
    Options
    Honestly, when I find myself in that situation I typically look through the database and do one of two things- find the "average" so the calorie count that you see most frequently; or I'll pick the highest one ... women, in particular, are terrible underestimators when it comes to calorie counting.

Good Luck!
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    If your not making them can't you get the nutrition info off the box? if it a restaurant always go with the higher.
  • Txladykat
    Txladykat Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the quick replies everyone. They were from a restaurant and they don't post nutritional info on their website. I had already done what yall suggested (went somewhere in the middle) so I am on the right track then. Probably a bad choice to have chosen stuffed crab anyhow...but that is one of the pitfalls of meal skipping (skipped lunch). Which leads to the next question - I still have net calories of 938 for the day. There is NO way I am getting anymore food in this stomach today....how detrimental is that?
  • leslielove
    leslielove Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I've just stopped eating in situations where I can't a) find the calories on the package the food came in and/or b)look it up on the restaurant's website. If I can't measure/weigh it, I don't eat it. Unfortunate, because I really miss dirty greasy Chinese food and taco trucks but there's no way to be totally accurate unless the information is explicitly made available somewhere else.

Fortunately California recently passed a law that requires an establishment with more than 22 locations has to have calorie counts listed next to each dish on the menu and full nutrition facts for the entire menu available at each table so it makes going out somewhat easier. Hole in the wall places have been removed from my menu.
  • Txladykat
    Txladykat Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    nice, I wish they would do that here. Your larger chains have them online, but it would be awesome to be able to sit down and look at the menu and see them there in front of you rather than having to wait until you get home to look it up (when its too late LOL)
    I've just stopped eating in situations where I can't a) find the calories on the package the food came in and/or b)look it up on the restaurant's website. If I can't measure/weigh it, I don't eat it. Unfortunate, because I really miss dirty greasy Chinese food and taco trucks but there's no way to be totally accurate unless the information is explicitly made available somewhere else.

Fortunately California recently passed a law that requires an establishment with more than 22 locations has to have calorie counts listed next to each dish on the menu and full nutrition facts for the entire menu available at each table so it makes going out somewhat easier. Hole in the wall places have been removed from my menu.