How to Steer Clear of Fast Food Restaurants

Options
I told myself this week I would not eat out at all and prepare all of my meals and snacks at home. It is easier to do when i am home, but now that my 3 day weekend is over, I KNOW I am going to have a hard time not just driving by eateries without wanting to turn in for a 'snack.' Looking over my finances the past few weeks, I eat out at least once a day.:sick:

I am now trying to do a lifestyle change and now want to only eat out no more than once a week. Any suggestions on how to steer clear from the impossible?

Replies

• merrillfoster
    merrillfoster Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. I've found it really really helps to keep prepared food at home (so that you can just warm it up, rather than going to the trouble to cook). Also, I try to keep healthy snacks in the car, so that when those chicken nuggets (my weakness) come calling, I can eat a pretzel stick or two to keep my mouth occupied as I drive by. I try to cook 2-3 meals for the week on like Sunday and freeze them so that I have them for dinner, work, etc. It really helps me drive by places on the way home knowing I will have a hot, tasty homecooked meal ready 2 min after I walk in the door.
  • Reese2008
    Options
    I think you answered your question in youre first sentence... prepare all of your meals and snacks at home. Keep some almonds or a protein bar in your vehicle for when you are driving and need a snack. Google the menus for the fast food places you frequent and see exactly how many calories and fat are in the crap! THAT should be enough to keep away. Not to mention, the mystery meat is gross don't cha think? good luck!
  • quara
    quara Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Do not keep your debit/credit card with you! I am trying to keep my credit card locked away at home so I'm not tempted to go out for dinner on the way. If you know you have errands to run, bring just enough cash. Something to that extent!!
  • Mishy
    Mishy Posts: 1,551 Member
    Options
    Take it by the minute if you have to - as you're passing by just think/say to yourself "just for now I don't have to pull in and get a snack there will be snacks and food for me at home" and then keep on driving.

Maybe start a jar where at the end of the day you put the money you didn't spend on fast food into then make plans to spend it on yourself after a certain point?

You can do it!
  • Phoenyxtears
    Options
    I think about the bills I have to pay, especially gas prices, and cringe at the thought of fast food because I know if I start, I won't have enough money to afford other things. It may not help you, but I stay away from fast food places because most of them around here are on hills and I drive a stick shift (still new at it) LOL!!! I'm scared that I'm going to roll into someone's car and have to pay a lot of money...to have a wrecked car and fast food for $1000 vs. no wrecked car and no fast food, but dindin at home for $0...lol...that's my big reason to stay away.

Just think about how you will feel after eating all of that junk? You'll probably feel horrible.

Or, if you can't stay away, look at their lower calorie stuff - like Taco Bell's fresco foods.

You can do this, girl!
  • missjay001
    Options
    Do not keep your debit/credit card with you! I am trying to keep my credit card locked away at home so I'm not tempted to go out for dinner on the way. If you know you have errands to run, bring just enough cash. Something to that extent!!

that's what I did too.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Here's one trick we instituted that helped both food wise and budget wise: two checking accounts and a split direct deposit. We figured out a reasonable budget for gas, a little mad money (like $20 each!) and food--which is mostly grocery money but includes one night out together and one lunch out each per week. That amount is direct-deposited into our "operating cash" account. Then, everything else is deposited either into our second "bill-paying" checking account (mortgage, utilities, car insurance, etc.) or directly into savings.

What's in the "operating cash" account is what we have to spend on food for two weeks, and when it's gone, we're on beans and rice or whatever's in the freezer until the next payday. I now cook dinner with an eye towards making lunches the next day, and I can't BELIEVE how our savings account has grown!
  • 1983Miller
    1983Miller Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    http://www.fastfood.com/nutrition/

Take a look at how much real nutrition, carbs and calories you will rack up with just one stop for a "Snack". I like the idea of packing yourself a nice turkey sandwich on whole wheat, 1 tbsp of light mayo and 1 oz of cheddar cheese. And don't forget dessert a low sugar jello cup! mmm I always plan for the treat, then I never feel cheated and always satisfied! :bigsmile:
  • Janworkingitout
    Janworkingitout Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    It was tough for me as well when I first began to change my lifestyle to stay out of fast food restaurants! Don't beat yourself up over having fast food every now and then. If you're going to go a fast food restaurant, pre plan what you're going to order. Look up the nutritional values online or in the restaurant and choose a meal that will fit within your calorie goals. If you go over your calorie goals you may have to exercise a little more that day. Good luck!
  • LivingFree
    Options
    I know what you mean - its tough, especially when you're busy. Preplanning as much as possible helps for sure. I keep a snack bag of almonds in my purse and the dash of my car and in my desk. My son is in karate and when we are at a tournament and I end up sitting around a gym all day next to a concession stand.... That's super tough. That stuff always smells better than what I brought. If I try not to let myself get too hungry I can hold resist easier - because when I get really hungry, I'll eat just about anything!.
  • cflorkie
    cflorkie Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I stay away because after logging some of the fast food fixes I used to have, and realizing how bad they were for me (mostly sodium) I just can't be responsible and go there. I'd rather save the calories for more food, and feel better too.

I also leave my debit card at home. The only time I buy coffee anymore is when I can stop, with no children, and get a fat free vanilla cappucino at 7-11. Doesn't happen very often that I have no child to lug in with me and once I think about stopping, getting out, dragging everything in just for a coffee. Yup.

The only places I eat out at anymore are the Sushi House and the Pita Pit. Anywhere else I know I can't make a good decision, or its hard to eat there because I'm a vegetarian, so I just don't go (or bring my own food, and buy a cup of coffee with my own splenda from my purse)

Great job staying away from the fast food. Merrill-You should watch a video on how those nuggets are made, might make your cravings for them go away :laugh: :wink:
  • helenamonks
    Options
    I have the same problem, my job is smack in the middle of 3 fast food chains and only a block away from about 5 more, everyday when I leave I smell it I have the urge, what I did was break up my snacks into 3 instead of just 2, and I eat throughout the whole day rather than just every so many hours. I save one snack for when I get home and make sure that I count it in for my calories for the day and make sure its fixed so that as soon as I get home I can grub.

Another thing I started doing, even though they're not particularly great for you, I keep plenty of Lean Cuisine and Healthy Choice tv dinners for the days that I dont have time to cook. And I make sure to eat a well rounded breakfast and plenty of fruits through the day.

Check out my food diary if you want some meal tips, just avoid Jan 16th (its a doozie) :blushing:
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Basically you have to put you big girl pants on and make a choice. Do you want to lose weight or do you want to continue down the path you were already on? Its a simple choice. You just have to be ready to make it and stick with it. Because no matter how many meals your plan to eat at home or have snacks with you, you will still have the urge to stop and get that unhealthy stuff. So you have to be honest with yourself and figure out where you are in your losing weight faze? Have you gotten sick and tired of being unhealthy or do your wants out weigh your needs.

The ball is in your court.
  • riley711
    riley711 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain as I was out running errands today, and Wendy's, my favorite fast food, started calling my name. I passed by three of them today. And I often get in trouble if my blood sugar drops while I'm out and about. Then I'll try to eat anything with carbs/sugar to keep from passing out, but I usually overdo it. But when you take a look at all the calories, fat and sodium in that fast food, even some of the salads, it makes you want to just say no. I try to do what a lot of others have mentioned....plan and prepare meals at home so you'll have food ready fast at home. I cook big on Sundays and separate it into containers so I'll have quick meals ready for lunch and dinner. Keeping low calorie snacks in your vehicle is also a big help. I recently discovered Welch's fruit snacks. At 80 calories per pouch, it is a nice, quick snack. I've got those things stashed everywhere!!!! And the Target brand, market pantry, is just as good too.:happy:
  • riley711
    riley711 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Basically you have to put you big girl pants on and make a choice. Do you want to lose weight or do you want to continue down the path you were already on? Its a simple choice. You just have to be ready to make it and stick with it. Because no matter how many meals your plan to eat at home or have snacks with you, you will still have the urge to stop and get that unhealthy stuff. So you have to be honest with yourself and figure out where you are in your losing weight faze? Have you gotten sick and tired of being unhealthy or do your wants out weigh your needs.

The ball is in your court.

So true, so true!! Thanks for telling it like it is. Straight, no chaser!!
  • JMJohnson1005
    JMJohnson1005 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    It is hard when you are just starting out. Look up the calories, fat, carbs, etc. and you probably will not want it anymore, especially when you realize that you can eat so much more for less calories, fat, carbs, etc. at home. I remember one day I was really wanting some Wendy's for lunch and I was looking up online the nutritional info and after looking everything up I might possibly want (Double Stack, Baked Potato, Chili) I decided that I didn't want any of it anymore. So I didn't go. Just keep at it and if you feel like you really need to stop somewhere, go to Subway or somewhere that has healthier options. Good luck!
  • fredaro2002
    fredaro2002 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys for all of your great suggestions. I will especially put the 'leave your debit/credit card at home' method. Now that I think about it, if i do not have either or on me (like when I go on quick errands), I am not tempted to spend because I have nothing to spend!:laugh: