Calories for the day

Options
I am allowed 1390 calories a day and I am finding it hard to eat all of my calories. My friend doesn't understand how I cant reach that as its a low total. I find that when I am eating bad my calories are through the roof but when i'm eating healthy they are really low. I use to eat out a lot as its convenient for me. I am single and live alone and often cooking for just me is a waste of time. I am now staying away from the drive thru but finding it difficult to eat the calories. I havent started my workout regimen yet but when I do I'll be in big trouble because my calorie consumption will be so low. Its not like i am starving myself though. I am usually full!

Replies

• kekkerz
    Options
    I sometimes have that problem, too!
    Nuts and nut butters are good for you and relatively calorie dense.
    Or you could try milk, ensure, carnation instant breakfast, etc if you don't want to eat anything.
    You could also try mixing a scoop or two of protein powder in milk to bump up your calories with good foods.

Good luck!
  • FaeFae
    FaeFae Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    hmmm maybe i'll try almonds! They wont fill me and they are full of calories!! Thanks for the suggestion!
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Cooking for one doesn't have to be a waste, do a big batch and freeze it in serving size portions. Cook up lasagna, portion it, freeze it, there's a week of meals for one, frozen it will last longer so spread it over a couple weeks. Even mac & cheese handles freezing short-term anyway.
    Make a bit pot of soup / stew / chili, portion and freeze. Then you don't "have" to cook every night and can get a meal almost as easily as going to the drive-through
  • cflorkie
    cflorkie Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I was the same (and still have days when I'm like 900 under because of exercise!) I was adjusting to being a vegetarian and it's difficult sometimes!

However, I am finding it easier to get closer. I add in healthy fats, (avacado, nuts, peanutbutter, fish) protien powder, protien bars. I think once your body adjusts to the workout schedule and the new food, you will find it easier. Until then try and make choices that are higher calories but healthy.
  • geminisam
    Options
    Im unsure of how this is supposed to work,ive only just started today....im allowed an allowance of 1630 calories a day but say if i do some exercise that uses 600 calories then do i have to eat that to get back to my 1630 allowance ?
  • jrhodges20
    jrhodges20 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Im unsure of how this is supposed to work,ive only just started today....im allowed an allowance of 1630 calories a day but say if i do some exercise that uses 600 calories then do i have to eat that to get back to my 1630 allowance ?

That is the way I am understanding it, you have to eat back what you burn off. So if you burn 600 calories, like I did today, you have to eat 600 calories too. And honestly that leaves me sitting here going...um **** what do i eat? I'm not hungry and don't want to eat junk to get my calories back....If i am wrong please someone tell me...
  • jrhodges20
    jrhodges20 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Fae,

First I want to tell you keep at it. I found my self unexpectantly single 7 months ago, and haivng to start over, I never cooked for myself and was always hitting taco bell on the way home. I unfortunately saw the pounds add up fast. I began cooking on my days off and freezing the extras, and then I have a wide variety of food for days that I am unable to cook or just don't feel like it. I found my pocket book heavier, and my body thanking me. I was talking to my mom tonight, and she is by no means a health expert, but has read and completed this program called Food Lover's for Life, by Robert Ferguson. And his philosphy is eating healthy, and eating every 2-3 hours, keep your metabolism moving. So to get to the point. I am allowed 1490 a day, I am working out almost 7 days a week for 30 minutes, and eating my three meals an occasional ligh snack. Lost 5 pounds in the first week, and suddenly I've found myself not loosing or gaining. I am loosing inches...just not pounds. And when talking to my mother she asked if I was eating enough. Well sure I though i had been. She then asked if I was eating what I burned off, and said I should try and stay at the 1490. My friend also said the same thing. So I am told and am going to try eating more healthy snacks throughout the day, to make up for what I've lost at they gym and walking the dog.
  • aprilcooper
    Options
    I am actually having the same problem and people are telling me to treat myself but with something healthy. I do really good unless for some reason i am eating out.