"I may not pass you, but I can outlast you" -- 14 miles DONE

Options

Replies

• yacker678
    Options
    That is amazing!!! I am very jealous. I want to run a half marathon too, but I feel so far away from that. I walk for half and hour but am afraid to run for some reason. I can't get myself to bump up the speed to run yet. I want to be a runner I just can't do it!!!
  • courtrptr13
    Options
    Congrats, that is a HUGE accomplishment! I've run lots of 5ks, a couple 10 and 15ks, I did finish a marathon once but walked a LOT of it. I really, really want to train to run a half. How long have you been training for? Good luck on race day, you're gonna be awesome!
  • NotAllWhoWanderAreLost
    Options
    "The miracle isn't that I finished. The miracle is that I had the courage to start." John "The Penguin" Bingham.

One of my all-time favorite quotes!!!

Congrats on your 14-miler and good luck with your taper. I know it can be hard to scale back, but you will be happy you did :)

And good luck in your half!! :)
    :drinker:
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Great job! 14 miles is a long ways. Be proud.
  • california_peach
    california_peach Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    I LOVE the quote!!! I am a slow runner and it is easy to get discouraged by all the fast people. This is gonna be my new mantra!!!! ANd good job on the run. You are the wo-Man.
  • emmaleigh47
    emmaleigh47 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    "The miracle isn't that I finished. The miracle is that I had the courage to start." John "The Penguin" Bingham.

One of my all-time favorite quotes!!!

Congrats on your 14-miler and good luck with your taper. I know it can be hard to scale back, but you will be happy you did :)

And good luck in your half!! :)
    :drinker:

I have that shirt -- and a magnet on my fridge that says that! I LOVE John Bingham and the whole penguin philosphy... even my family knows what a penguin is, LOL!

Ok I get the concept of a taper... I just dont know what I am "supposed" to run!
  • lyndsloo
    lyndsloo Posts: 242
    Options
    Woo hoo! I completed a 10K in November and I'm doing 5 races (5ks, a few 10ks and a half) between now and June. You are awesome! I never thought I could run but I actually ENJOY IT and I'm still considered OBESE! :) An obese runner, who would've thought!

You are awesome! I know you will be so successful with your half! YOU GO GIRL!
  • BaseballMom18
    Options
    I'm just starting my training for my first 1/2 marathon on April 2nd, which happens to be the day after my 35th birthday. I would love any pointers you may have, I have done 3-5K and have gotten a PR each time.

Congrats on your AMAZING accomplishment, I know you will do FABULOUS at your race!

Hugs,
    Christy
  • schotas
    schotas Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!!! I've finished 3 half-marathons, and I know that is a huge deal! Don't stress out over the tapering. You will do great on the day of your big race. The best advice I ever got before my first half was to just enjoy it. Take in the sights and sounds...the people cheering...the bands along the race (if there are any). Best wishes. :happy:
  • Lisamarie1226
    Lisamarie1226 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Wow! Good for you! I have my first half marathon in 2 months. Thanks for inspiring me ;-)
  • emmaleigh47
    Options
    Woo hoo! I completed a 10K in November and I'm doing 5 races (5ks, a few 10ks and a half) between now and June. You are awesome! I never thought I could run but I actually ENJOY IT and I'm still considered OBESE! :) An obese runner, who would've thought!

You are awesome! I know you will be so successful with your half! YOU GO GIRL!

I love "obese" runners! Thats what I am too ... I just think if I can do this much at this weight, imagine what I will be able to do at my goal weight which is still about 100 pounds down! I wish more obese runners would give it a try instead of waiting until they are "thinner" I just love running!! Isnt it crazy that we enjoy it!

Great job on your races! When is your next one planned? I love the shirts... LOL! I have quite a collection now, unfortunately they are all in 2x from my fall races and they are quite big now... what a great problem to have!
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh you are my inspiration! I really hope to be able to do that someday.
  • JMun
    JMun Posts: 409
    Options
    I was just having this conversation with my sister.. all the folks with New Years resolutions taking up valuable space on the track (tourists). With shocked looks on their faces when I lap them again and again. You may be 50lbs lighter than me but I have the endurance of a champ!

I'm an obese runner too!
  • pammilou
    pammilou Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Wow that's amazing! You're topic got my attention and cracked me up. That sounds so familiar. I've said something like that to my son who was bragging about how fast he can do a mile, but he can't continue to run with me when I run 3 or 4. :) Go turtles! And congratulations! I'm just now getting started on moving up to a 10K from doing my first 5k last year and still can't imagine going that far.
  • FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    congrats! i LOVE running and also started out similar to you. :)

PLEASE tell me you were slow when you started and magically got faster? LOL... I have difficulty with intervals longer than 8 minutes... and I am just quite slow... :)
    i also am similar...walking a mile 4 years ago was taxing...but to get faster train faster. or this shocked me...SPINNING! the orthepedic surgeon that spoke to us for the marathon said that
  • EJWoolcock
    Options
    That's fantastic. I am also a "shuffler" rather than a runner. You have every right to be very proud. Keep it up!
  • Amanda_Runs
    Amanda_Runs Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I just ran my first consecutive mile a few weeks ago and that was a huge milestone for me! I used to be crazy athletic and over the past 13 years I have let myself go in a few ways, but running a full mile w/o walking was HUGE...So I can imagine how amazing 14 would feel.

I am so proud of you!!!
  • thedeegan4
    thedeegan4 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    WTG!!!! 14 miles is a huge accomplishment. Be proud of yourself.
  • jimmydeanbakker
    Options
    You're super trooping it!!!
  • emmaleigh47
    Options
    Wow, great job!

I did my first 5 miler in too many years last night. Feels awesome, doesn't it?

When I first started running, I had never exercised a day in my life, AND I was a smoker. I couldn't even finish a mile. This coming fall I'm going to attempt a half.

Good luck on yours and make sure you let us know how you do!

Great job! 5 miles is nothing to sneeze at. After running 5Ks during the summer/early fall I had to get up to 5 miles for the Thanksgiving race and that was a HUGE deal for me. Adding distance after that was actually pretty easy!
    Keep up the good work!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!