Shocking Restaurant Nutritionals... AHHHH!

Options
Healthier_Me
Healthier_Me Posts: 5,600 Member
Our inbox has been FLOODED with emails about this story since it broke about two weeks ago. In case you're unfamiliar with it, here's the scoop. Eight Scripps-owned TV stations in different cities had reporters order a total of about twenty so-called "healthier" meal options at Applebee's, Macaroni Grill, Chili's, Cheesecake Factory, etc. The food was then sent to a lab to be tested, to see if the nutritional stats provided by the restaurants were accurate. The results were ASTOUNDING, to say the least. The worst offender of the bunch was one of the Pollo Magro "Skinny Chicken" samples from Macaroni Grill. It contained nowhere near the "less than 6g fat and 500 calories" the menu claims (let alone the 330 calories and 5g fat listed on the website's nutritional page) -- it actually had over 1,000 calories and just under 50 grams of fat. INSANE! (FYI, a "Skinny Chicken" sample taken from another city actually had only 320 calories, but still contained 14g fat. So you never know!) All four items that were tested from the Chili’s Guiltless Grill menu contained more than twice the fat they should have had -- the Guiltless Chicken Platter actually had more than 30g fat, as opposed to the 9 grams claimed by Chili's! Many of the other offerings had about 100 more calories and 13 additional fat grams than they were supposed to. Instead of just crying over this, let's be reasonable and take away some valuable info here...

1. You can never fully trust the restaurant nutritionals you read on websites and menus. There are too many unknowns (like who is actually preparing the food, how closely they follow directions and measurements, etc.).

2. Pay VERY close attention to your food. If the portion seems WAY too large to have the calories listed, chances are it has more calories. If it is supposed to have 6g fat and it is floating in oil, trust us -- it DOESN'T contain just 6 grams of fat (sorry!).

3. For more control over your meal, special order when you can -- even the "lighter" dishes. Ordering things grilled or steamed with sauce on the side is the best way to go.

4. Ordering items listed as "diet-friendly" or "light" is still probably better than ordering standard menu options -- if the stats are off on the lighter dishes, just imagine how bad the regular stuff could really be!

For full lab results on the items tested, go here ( http://www.abc2news.com/content/themenutest/testresults/default.aspx ) -- it's worth checking out.

http://hungry-girl.com/news/newsdetails.php?isid=1450

Replies

• Healthier_Me
    Options
    Our inbox has been FLOODED with emails about this story since it broke about two weeks ago. In case you're unfamiliar with it, here's the scoop. Eight Scripps-owned TV stations in different cities had reporters order a total of about twenty so-called "healthier" meal options at Applebee's, Macaroni Grill, Chili's, Cheesecake Factory, etc. The food was then sent to a lab to be tested, to see if the nutritional stats provided by the restaurants were accurate. The results were ASTOUNDING, to say the least. The worst offender of the bunch was one of the Pollo Magro "Skinny Chicken" samples from Macaroni Grill. It contained nowhere near the "less than 6g fat and 500 calories" the menu claims (let alone the 330 calories and 5g fat listed on the website's nutritional page) -- it actually had over 1,000 calories and just under 50 grams of fat. INSANE! (FYI, a "Skinny Chicken" sample taken from another city actually had only 320 calories, but still contained 14g fat. So you never know!) All four items that were tested from the Chili’s Guiltless Grill menu contained more than twice the fat they should have had -- the Guiltless Chicken Platter actually had more than 30g fat, as opposed to the 9 grams claimed by Chili's! Many of the other offerings had about 100 more calories and 13 additional fat grams than they were supposed to. Instead of just crying over this, let's be reasonable and take away some valuable info here...

1. You can never fully trust the restaurant nutritionals you read on websites and menus. There are too many unknowns (like who is actually preparing the food, how closely they follow directions and measurements, etc.).

2. Pay VERY close attention to your food. If the portion seems WAY too large to have the calories listed, chances are it has more calories. If it is supposed to have 6g fat and it is floating in oil, trust us -- it DOESN'T contain just 6 grams of fat (sorry!).

3. For more control over your meal, special order when you can -- even the "lighter" dishes. Ordering things grilled or steamed with sauce on the side is the best way to go.

4. Ordering items listed as "diet-friendly" or "light" is still probably better than ordering standard menu options -- if the stats are off on the lighter dishes, just imagine how bad the regular stuff could really be!

For full lab results on the items tested, go here ( http://www.abc2news.com/content/themenutest/testresults/default.aspx ) -- it's worth checking out.

http://hungry-girl.com/news/newsdetails.php?isid=1450
  • cheri822
    cheri822 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Wow!!
    That is exactly why I'm trying to cook more at home now.
    Thanks 4 posting!! :smile:
  • Lavendersunday
    Lavendersunday Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    You are so right about using good judgement at the restaurant dining table.

Case in point: I ordered fresh steamed veggies at Outback steakhouse because they taste amazing. It is a combo of carrots, squash, and broccoli. Even though I knew in advance to order them
    "without butter" due to having planned in advance by looking at the website...the veggies arrived at my table with butter flavor. Short of reprimanding the cook (bad idea...although no calories in spit...not very appetizing)...I ate them...KNOWING they were NOT without butter !

Love ya Outback...but I don't want butter on my fresh steamed VEGGIES!!! :explode: :mad: :grumble:

Wheeeew....feel much better...been holdin that in WAY TOO LONG!! :laugh:

~Namaste :flowerforyou:
  • briblue72
    briblue72 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    :sad:

The "Skinny Chicken" at Macaroni Grill is my favorite................ :sad:

you know I'm gonna keep eating it anyway... :blushing:
  • Healthier_Me
    Options
    Mmmmm Outback!!! :heart: their grilled shrimp!
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Yes it's really hard to trust that it is what they say. I ordered a salad the other day at this "big boy" type restaurant with low calorie ranch dressing. When she brought it she confirmed that I had said the ranch and I corrected her with low cal ranch and she said they didn't have it. I told her the menu listed it as an option and she said it lies, they don't have it. I had the regular ranch anyway, but I at least now knew to use less of it than had I thought it was low cal. It kills me though that she let me order it originally and would have just let me think it was low cal.
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options
    These guys want your money, they don't care if they are having to con you into THINKING you are eating healthier then you really are. Cause most of us won't make a fuss about it (as already mentioned here).

Side note: First time at the Pita Pit "the healthy alternative"....looked up my pita when I got back to school....DAMN....Not the worst thing on the menu but darn close! I had never eaten there, didn't research my food, and am having to do more working out today (just to be safe).

The big thing is, we can't rely on others to make the healthy choices/food for us (unless you are willing to pay....cause a lot of chain resturants won't specialize orders...it's a chain...like McDonalds). I picked a healthier resturant but I didn't make the effort (expect in toppings/sauces) in what I was gonna eat. We can complain about it here, but is it really making a difference if we just suck it up and take the order, even though it was wrong?

Does this make sense? Educated consumers and all that jazz.
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options
    thank you Joanna:flowerforyou:
  • daniwein
    daniwein Posts: 1
    Options
    I am a Chef and I am sometimes surprised how people order food - Caesar salad with no dressing but a butterpoached lobster with extra butter on the side :noway: Or a fruite plate with whipped cream...

Eating in restaurants can be tricky, especially chain restaurants. I hardly ever get to eat out but when I do, I try to order my veggies steamed (no butter), my protein grilled and trade the starch for a side salad.
  • Healthier_Me
    Options
    thank you Joanna:flowerforyou:
    You are very welcome Renee:wink:
  • plantlady99
    plantlady99 Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Thank you.

44118.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter