Sodium is evil!

Options
Ok I was down almost 10 pounds when I realized I had eaten 1000mg of sodium. I feel so bloated!!! Im so upset can I go on a no sodium diet? I was so concerned about the calories in and out I lost track of the sodium!
Any suggestions on how to phase this out of my diet? I feel like I don't know how to eat! I ate a lean cuisine today and it had 500mg of sodium. Seems like it is in everything! Im so discouraged.....
I tried one time to reduce my sodium intake and I got a headache like a sugar withdrawl pain....Is this normal?

Replies

• haleighallen
    haleighallen Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Sodium is not ALL bad. You actually NEED sodium. It's an electrolyte and helps prevent water poisoning.....and yes, water poisoning is a very real thing. It has even killed people before.

Just remember, everything in moderation. 1500mg of sodium a day is alright. MFP will even allow you 2500mg, though I don't recommend that unless you drink more than 150oz of water per day.
  • LaurenRose2011
    Options
    No, you absolutely cannot have a NO sodium diet. You would be putting yourself at risk of hyponatremia (sodium deficiency). Barring any medical reasons to the contrary you should be taking in at least 1300mg of sodium per day to sustain normal body function, and at least 1500mg per day if you increase your physical activity through exercise. Recommended levels are no more than 2,400mg per day, but at least 1,300mg per day.

Low sodium intake can leave you with feelings of exhaustion, disorientation, headache, muscle cramps, and nausea, and could, if allowed to become hyponatremia, leave you comatose or dead.

Your body needs salt. It's just that simple. What you can do is change where you get your salt to healthier food. There are quite a few vegetables that have high sodium content, and some fruits as well.

DO NOT phase sodium out of your diet or you WILL be risking your life.
  • slapshotgolf
    slapshotgolf Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Sodium is a natural mineral found in all foods, including fruits and vegetables, so its almost impossible to go "sodium free". You can check with your doctor, but I believe sodium is actually a required part of ones diet, with various sources quoting 2000-2500 mg per day as recommended. The problem I'm finding is staying under the 2500 mg target MFP has set. A lot of "preserved" foods (canned, frozen) have high levels of sodium due to the added salt in preparation. Try to limit preserved foods (I admittedly am finding it difficult), as the benefits of lower sodium include lowering blood pressure, and retaining less water when trying to lose weight.
  • clementine66
    clementine66 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    eat fresh and try not to eat anything out of a can or processed. If you must have processed go for things thats say low sodium. Stay away from lunchmeat!! Cottage cheese is also great protein but high sodium, so is cheese and canned beans and olives. Eat fresh and clean! Good luck! Im in the same situation.
  • amelia_atlantic
    amelia_atlantic Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    Just pay attention to labels, avoid process foods, don't add (much or any!) table salt to things, eat a lot of fruit (the potassium in bananas and kiwis combat bloating from sodium) and increase your water intake on days you have close to the recommended (per MFP) 2500mg.

Nobody likes to feel bloated but a balance diet pretty much cures everything!
  • Warmbloodwear
    Warmbloodwear Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    OK I will not be going on the no sodium binge for sure! Thanks I will heed the warning and eat fresh and maybe that will help.... I think the sodium and fiber is just making me feel like the 10 pounds are back lol
  • myukniewicz
    myukniewicz Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    like the above posters stated, sodium is necessary for normal body functions.

however, i am pretty anal about my sodium intake, so i know how you feel!!!
    i started watching my sodium a couple weeks ago, and i have been able to keep it down to about 1500mg a day.

the way i do it is by eating a lot of fresh fruit and fresh/frozen veggies... NO CANNED STUFF!!! a lot of "fat free" stuff that we tend to drift toward when we are watching our calories is chock full of sodium...

try to eat more fresh, not processed foods and you will be able to keep your sodium to a lower, healthier level.
  • bpdai
    bpdai Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    This is a tough one. My doctor told me to reduce my salt intake, a long time ago. It made me aware of the high sodium content of many of my favorite foods. It is not safe to cut out salt altogether, but you can be careful about your intake. My first step was to avoid adding salt at the table. Most cooked foods, and nearly all processed foods are already quite high in sodium. Don't add to it! After that you need to keep the high sodium items in moderation. I had pizza today at a birthday celebration for a couple of the grandkids, and I know that I will pay for it in bloating. I just don't do it on a regular basis. Same thing with Chinese food, which I love but is chocked full of sodium (usually msg). This is just another part of changing our eating habits to get the results we want.
  • atl_kd
    atl_kd Posts: 1
    Options
    Salvation can be found in Jesus and potassium!! John 3:16 :happy:
  • WritingMyLife
    WritingMyLife Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Salvation can be found in Jesus and potassium!! John 3:16 :happy:

LOL Just what I was thinking. Well, about the Potassium. I've been drinking a cup of orange juice in the morning and having an orange in the afternoon many days in order to get the potassium. Potassium helps your body rid it'self of excess sodium.
  • jennylynn84
    Options
    1000 mg isn't a lot. If you don't have high blood pressure or other problems, 2500 is recommended. 1500 is actually pretty low and from my understanding there is no medical reason (if you are otherwise healthy) to keep it that low.

Watch out for getting it too low or you're going to ditch all your electrolytes. Especially if you're trying to hit the 8 cups of water recommendation as well.