Do you count walking as exercise?

Options
Hi,

I was just wondering if anyone counts the walking they do around the office or around home as part of their exercise calories burned? I don't own a car so I walk everywhere but I never think to list it...

Thanks for sharing :)

Replies

• believetoachieve
    believetoachieve Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Nope. My personal trainer told me that walking burns very few calories for the most part, and it's something that humans should be doing anyway. I only count gym-exercise (not housework, or cleaning, or laundry lol). :bigsmile:
  • Calicoskies
    Calicoskies Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I myself only count my walking when I am purposely doing it for exercise. This is because I walk at a brisk pace and don't stop for at least 30min.

If I were you, I would put a step counter on and if it hits 5000 or 10000 steps, definitely count it.
  • DMK710
    DMK710 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    ABSOLUTELY count the brisk walking!!! Walking is great exercise! count it!!! *** But.....I don't count office walking.
  • sarahnicolexoxo
    Options
    I only count it if I am doing it for exercise.
  • bratja
    bratja Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I do, but it's because I have to walk about an hour every day to get to classes(:
  • monoxidechick
    Options
    I only count the walking I would do for excercise. I know that in the summer I like to go on walks with a friend for enjoyment and excercise and I would count those. If I walk to the store to get groceries than I don't count it. Not sure if that really makes sense, but that is how I do it.
  • bka8
    bka8 Posts: 92
    Options
    I don't count daily activity walking because they ask about that when you make your profile - like if you're on your feet an runnin around all day, you don't lead a sedentary life like me, jockeying a desk. However, I went to the zoo this weekend and walked for three or so hours and definitely counted that!
  • Ddavis1967
    Ddavis1967 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I only count it when I elevate my heart rate. I love your goals BTW. I think I will do something like that myself. Thanks for the inspiration!:flowerforyou:
  • kaymd
    kaymd Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I walk sometimes run on my treadmill everyday! I def. count it!
  • jrhodges20
    jrhodges20 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Yes I count my walking as exercise, not so much walking arund the office, but I walk the dog for at least 30 minutes.
  • vulcangrrl
    Options
    I wear a pedometer, and so count the calories it tells me I have burned.
    I have set my activity level as sedentary, so I feel that I am not double counting by counting my walking cals..

I also walk *everywhere*, and up and down stairs and hills regularly (my city is ALL HILLS), so I think it works out.
    I would seriously advise getting a pedometer that counts cals, it has made my life 10 times easier.
  • pdxscarlett
    pdxscarlett Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    If it gets my blood pumping I count it. Every day normal stuff I don't count:wink:
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    I count it only because I've chosen my activity level as "sedentary." I also count housecleaning (except stuff like washing dishes or folding laundry). I count it so that I can motivate myself to get moving more, and to clean my messy house. :-P If I had my caloric intake goal set higher (right now it's as low as it can get at 1200), I might not count it, but right now for me, I figure every little bit helps. Anything that gets me motivated is good enough for me.
  • caroline1851
    Options
    I definently do not count office walking or walking around the house as exercise. That's just simply part of existing. I count walking if it's done for exercise for a specific distance or amount of time. (fast pace, etc.)
  • shastacrystal
    Options
    I only count the walking that is done as intentional exercise, when I know that I am increasing my HR and breaking a sweat!:bigsmile:
  • Liatush
    Liatush Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    I only count it when I elevate my heart rate. I love your goals BTW. I think I will do something like that myself. Thanks for the inspiration!:flowerforyou:

Thank you. It's definitely helping me stay on track :)
  • Liatush
    Liatush Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Thanks to all of you for your input. I agree with breaking a sweat/raising my HR rule some of you guys have... I will do that :)
  • NatsV
    NatsV Posts: 1
    Options
    Walking definitely counts as exercise. Obviously the benefits are increased the longer you walk or the faster you walk or the more endurance that is needed (ie: up hills) but in the exercise section there is walking 3mph (which is a fairly normal pace) and any walking you do can definitely add up. I went for a very brisk (about 8k/h) 15 minute walk at lunch time today and you can bet that i'm counting that!!