College vegan student who wants to lose weight!

Options
Hello everyone!

I'm Rita, 19 and in college at Rutgers, New Jersey.

Just like everyone else here, I'm in need of a healthier lifestyle. I've been overweight all my life and I want to finally change.
But alas, I cannot do it alone!

I'm 5'7 and weigh 180lbs. It's not the heaviest I've been but it's definitely not the healthiest. My weight goal is at least 130. I've also turned vegan recently for health, environmental and moral reasons.

I'd love to be a part of this community, to help others in their weight loss adventure the healthy way.

So feel free to reply or message or add me, and I'll do the same!
:D

Replies

• TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    Welcome! There are plenty of vegetarians and vegans on the boards. I currently and lacto/ovo. Feel free to friend me or PM me if you wish. There are several threads on the boards relating to veg/vegan lifestyles.
  • raaman14
    Options
    hello welcome... im a vegetarian.... and im a newbie here as well....

this site is really cool to track my daily diet and exercise progress....

cheerss....
  • nilisabel
    nilisabel Posts: 338
    Options
    I was vegan for four years, in college. My recommendation is that in order to get all your necessary B vitamins, which cannot be endogenously produced and of which you have a very finite store and which when low can affect our cognition, dexterity, and mobility, get a Naturemade B12 or total B-complex supplement (it MUST have B12). Also, do not go gluten free if possible because gluten is the only protein besides soy protein you will find in a variety of vegan products. Get 0.8g/kg or as recommended by American Dietetic Association or MFP.

The Necessary List: B12 supplement, Boca, lentils, potatoes, grains, orange juice with calcium (complete protein, zinc, calcium and vitamin D)

you can add me if you want more anecdotal advice :)
  • beethedreamer
    beethedreamer Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I am currently vegetarian and in college. I want to make a shift to veganism in the future, but we'll see how that goes. I made the shift for similar reasons as yourself (health and moral), but I definitely think it's one of the better choices i've made. This is a great community and there are quite a few vegetarian/vegan people on here that are super supportive :)
  • teramae
    teramae Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Hi! Vegetarian for almost 11 years...done with college but I know about the extra effort and planning it takes to eat a healthy veggie meal at school! Here for encouragement or questions!
  • mjd0109
    mjd0109 Posts: 152
    Options
    I just graduated from college and I'm a vegetarian too! Its definitely tough to balance especially when so few people understand why I don't eat anything with a face (I live in texas lol) but you can do it! Stay strong!

We need a post about great vegetarian/vegan recipes etc.
  • laineems
    Options
    Ey there fellow vegan! I was vegetarian for a few years then went vegan a year a go and am loving it :) Biggest thing is really watching to make sure you have a balanced diet, which can be really hard when trying to lose weight lol. But I've picked up a lot of recipes over the years feel free to steal! Lol just don't be afraid to try some different sounding food :p