Recient Scare- Causes Low Sodium Diet

Options
New to My Fitness Pal,
Recient Medical Issue, Scared me. Way to young to having health and heart issues.
Changing my diet is required.
I travel alot so I think I have been slowly getting lazy in my diet choices.
Sticking to 1200 MG sodium and exercise.
My first two goals.
Also to take medication everyday. Have bad habit of feeling better and thinking I don't need it anymore.:flowerforyou:

Replies

• cflorkie
    cflorkie Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I'm so sorry for your health issue, but MFP is great for tracking sodium. More people need to talk about sodium!! It's a huge issue!
  • nilisabel
    nilisabel Posts: 338
    Options
    ok! 1200mg sodium (are you sure it's not 1200 calories, 2g sodium?) is not easy but you can do it! I wouldn't use salt substitutes, and I'd stick to strong, healthful flavors like lemon and garlic, I think vinegar is ok but double check. keep plenty of cut up fresh fruit and veggies around for snacking, and keep fat free sour cream for dip! I don't get any processed stuff, as much as possible, so no bologna or other processed meats, (most coldcuts have lotsa sodium), no canned soup, no mac and cheese, no microwaveables, make everything fresh as you can. I cook on the weekends (or today because I had it off) and make stuff ahead and freeze it. If you get boneless skinless chicken breast, you can cover it with wax paper and then pound it with a rolling pin (or something handy that's heavy) to tenderize it, sautee it in a light spray of Pam, and slice it up thin so you have your own lunchmeat for sandwiches. You can marinate it in lemon juice, onions and garlic prior to sauteeing it if you like. Lettuce, tomato, low-sodium spread (fat free cream cheese works great), and whole wheat bun :) delish!

And yup, the meds is key!
  • nilisabel
    Options
    oh, and also good for snacking, raw unsalted almonds! you can add your own salt and sugar and toast up, it's way more delicious and fun to do yourself anyways!
  • nilisabel
    Options
    I would say measuring cups and spoons are very important here.