Help with Calories! Still not understanding??

OneLife2Love
OneLife2Love Posts: 39
edited September 23 in Health and Weight Loss
I have read forum after forum even starting to do research.

-My daily calorie intake is 1200, My BMR is 1,526, and my BMI is 28.8!

Am i suppose to eat my exercise calories or not? ive read that some don't and some do/

And sometimes i am still hungry after eating my daily calories and excercise one also

For exercise im usualy doin a brisk 3mile walk burning between 200-300 cals most of the time

I don't usually eat big meals intill dinner the rest of the day i have 100 cal snacks, yogurt. and most likely a pb&j on wheat for lunch thats about my typical day for lunch
Sometimes i swich up and eat something different(wen im goin eat out or something like that)

-Am i eating to less? Can you break down this calorie stuff and how it works

Replies

• it is very frustrating I will say.... I no longer put in my exercise mins because Im finding it makes me think I should be eating more when really as long as I dont go below 1,100 cals per day my metabolsium should be ok. if I were to eat to little cals my body would go into starvation mode which then my body will store everything and I deff dont want that to happen!! I have a wellness coach she says to eat half my exercise cals not all of them ...100 cal snacks are full of carbs try eating more fiber or protein in ur snacking to feel full longer!! Also make sure ur drinking half ur body weight in oz of water everyday to flush ur system! we seem to be in or around the same range for #'s add me if u would like :)
  • I too am unsure of the exercise calorie thing, but I do know you need to be eating balanced meals. Get rid of your 100 calorie snacks and eat veggies and some fruit. You will get better nutrition and eat less at your evening meal. I am in a fitness program led by a female who has won many competitions for her body. She recently won an over 40 bikini competition. In the program she is focusing on nutrition and is a firm believer in natural foods and eliminating processed foods and foods with sugar (or sweeteners added). I am pretty new to the program, one week in, but she has followed this thought process for 10+ years and was not a fitness buff before that.

She says to eat 5 "mini meals" a day. balanced between carbs, fats and proteins. (Read labels) She says 40% of your calories from carbs and 40% from proteins, the final 20 from fats. (Another nutritionist says 50 from carbs, 30 from protein and 20 from fat.) I do know if you are not getting enough carbs (complex carbs from fruits and veggies rather than simple carbs from processed foods) you will slow your metabolism down and losing weight will be harder and harder...

Snack on veggies instead and get plenty of protein. Limit fat to good fats like avocados and nuts and avoid oils, fat and such. Your proteins should be chicken, fish, tuna in water and beans, egg whites, etc. Limit beef to lean cuts no more often than twice a week. Drink plenty of water, avoid gatorade and soda and juice...eat fruit instead.

Keep exercising and good luck
  • I too am unsure of the exercise calorie thing, but I do know you need to be eating balanced meals. Get rid of your 100 calorie snacks and eat veggies and some fruit. You will get better nutrition and eat less at your evening meal. I am in a fitness program led by a female who has won many competitions for her body. She recently won an over 40 bikini competition. In the program she is focusing on nutrition and is a firm believer in natural foods and eliminating processed foods and foods with sugar (or sweeteners added). I am pretty new to the program, one week in, but she has followed this thought process for 10+ years and was not a fitness buff before that.

She says to eat 5 "mini meals" a day. balanced between carbs, fats and proteins. (Read labels) She says 40% of your calories from carbs and 40% from proteins, the final 20 from fats. (Another nutritionist says 50 from carbs, 30 from protein and 20 from fat.) I do know if you are not getting enough carbs (complex carbs from fruits and veggies rather than simple carbs from processed foods) you will slow your metabolism down and losing weight will be harder and harder...

Snack on veggies instead and get plenty of protein. Limit fat to good fats like avocados and nuts and avoid oils, fat and such. Your proteins should be chicken, fish, tuna in water and beans, egg whites, etc. Limit beef to lean cuts no more often than twice a week. Drink plenty of water, avoid gatorade and soda and juice...eat fruit instead.

Keep exercising and good luck

Thank you so very much!! Because all this time i was thinking i was making wise choices with my 100 cal snacks but im really no so now i know better:) Funny story here my mom kept telling me repeatedly to eat oranges and fruits etc haha lol i guess mother really know best!
This discussion has been closed.