Calcium for diabetic

Options
I am a diabetic. My mom has osteoperosis so I would like to help my bones now. What are ways to get calcium that are not loaded with sugar - besides a pill? It seems like everything with calcium is really high in sugar.

Replies

• Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    Ever tried almond milk? Check the nutritional values on an unsweetened almond milk like this one, which is in the database here:

Silk - Pure Almond Milk Unsweetened
  • smithda86
    Options
    milks and dairy are probably your best sources of calcium (however there is some sugar). also ensure you get adequate vitamin D intake with exposure to sunlight (15 mins a day should be enough) and diet. this will also help with calcium absorption.

in relation to osteoporosis - strength building exercises with weights can also help to increase bone density.
    - it also may be worth talking to your doctor about getting a blood test to investigate potential causes of osteoporosis
  • TwilaG
    TwilaG Posts: 134
    Options
    Thank you! I just went to the doctir with my mom yesterday. Her bone density is extremely poor. I do not want to get in that postion. Time to start doing something about it now! Thanks for the advice.