Seeking My Self Esteem - Medication Weight Gain

Options
Greeting...I am a 42 year old female, never married, very successful professionally seeking to regain my self esteem after gaining weight from prescription medication. Right now I am sad and feeling lonely and I hope that the support available by this site and the friendships gained by working together will help me succeed in regaining some sorely needed self esteem.

Replies

• rbuness
    Options
    It looks like you have made a great first step. Good luck!
  • IndyRick
    IndyRick Posts: 172
    Options
    If you're seeking friends with an upbeat, affirming, positive attitude...you've come to the right place. :) I'm pretty new here, but am almost stunned at the great attitudes here! Best of luck to you!
  • darla499
    darla499 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP!

You will find the best people on MFP. Everyone is supportive and encouraging. The tools on site are pretty awesome themselves.

I also gained a LOT of weight after being put on two medications. But what I've learned here is that we can speed up our metabolism (and thus weight loss) by following the suggestions on your "Food Logging" page.

Three small meals and two healthy snacks is what works for me.

Add me if you'd like.

Take care and best of luck to you.
  • sfriedmann
    Options
    Welcome Vanessa. Good luck with your diet. I too gained weight starting about 2 years ago as a direct result of taking pain medication . The pain subsided but the weight remained. Finally, on December 10 I decided I had had enough and started this diet using myfitnesspal.com which I stumbled on by accident. Now, 5 weeks later I am 11 lbs lighter and feeling pretty good about it. I think you will find this website to be very helpful. Again, good luck and best wishes.
    Stephen
  • ElsieMae
    Options
    I know what you are going through , I was put on meds 25 yrs ago , and in 3 months I gain 87lbs , I never had a weight problem until then , only weighting 112lbs , I have been off the meds now for 3 yrs and it is still hard for me , I lost 50 lbs 2 yrs ago , and gained it back after lossing our mom , so i am back on the food wagon ,trying to plan meals i find is the hardest , when you work , and some days have to take food for lunch and dinner , ,,,

i find this site helps , , nice to have online friends that are doing the same thing and dealing with some of the same stuff really helps , just knowing when we talk about weight we understand ,,,
    Hang in there , it gets better , and just to let you know I lost the 50lbs when I was still on the meds , my doctor was really surprised and happy that I could do it .

Hugs and have a Great Day :bigsmile:
  • capecodgirl1
    capecodgirl1 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    OMG Vanessa, I do know what you mean. I've been on and off Prednisone (steroid) and so many other meds dealing with my sinusus. I was on Prednisone when I first started and I was worried sick about how much weight I would gain because it is a gnarly drug. It works great for taking away the inflammation in the body but wreaks havock with weight gain and sodium, water retention. I talked to my doctor and she said that sodium intake was the number 1 deal breaker in this medication. I really listened to her and watched every bit of food I put in my mouth by checking sodium levels. I even drank a gallon of water a day (which I still do) just to help flush excess and of course I exercised every day. Don't worry, you can do this, and with all the fantastic tools on here and all the incredible support from everyone, YOU HAVE GOT THIS!!!!!!
    I use a Mantra EVERY DAY!! I hope this helps

"For My Body, OVEREATING is a Poison, and I owe my Body the Protection and Respect"
  • Black_Swan
    Black_Swan Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Hello, Im also 24. Im still a student, working part time but not in my field of study (hope it will change one day, ha-ha). Anyway, I dont have that much to loose like other people here and I gained only because I love food and I am really lazy, but this site is totally helpful! Add me as a friend if you want some support, we can help each other feel better:)
  • VanessaGoal20
    Options
    Thanks to everyone's supportive words and encouragement. I also appreciate those that directed me to specific areas of the site that can help. Being new, it is hard to know everything that is avaiable.