HELP! I've gained 2 pounds :(

Options
2»

Replies

• hemlock2010
    hemlock2010 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Yes to everything that's been said--about how your clothes fit, not the scales and about water weight--but a lot of people also find that MFP's exercise calories are on the high side, so maybe try to eat only half of your exercise calories.

Holly
  • karenmi
    karenmi Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm. A pound is a pound, no matter what the object is.

Regardless, I seriously doubt that you will gain 2 lbs of muscle after one week of working out. I'm no expert but it just doesn't seem possible to me.

The 2 lbs of weight gain is likely fluid; it wouldn't be fat unless you ate at least 7,000 extra calories during that time, which I also doubt.

Don't obsess over the gain of 2 lbs. I know it's frustrating mentally, but if you're in this for the long haul then a gain of 2 lbs is nothing. If you continue to gain then I'd get concerned.

Reward yourself for the progress you've already made, you're doing a great job!!!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

Of course it is but when people say muscle weighs more than fat they are comparing equal volumes. Or at the same weight you will take up less space (volume) with muscle.

Muscle density is 1.06 g/ml and fat density is (about) 0.9g/ml. Thus, one liter of muscle would weight 1.06 kg and one liter of
    fat would weight 0.9 kg. In other words, muscle is about 18% denser than fat. then 1L of muscle weighs more than 1L of fat. This is what people mean when they say muscle weighs more than fat, it just takes less time to leave out the volume part as it is assumed you are referring to the same volume
  • kerriBB37
    kerriBB37 Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    Hey girl, I have had issues this past week with with weight after starting Insanity with you! I actually went out and bought a new scale because I didn't believe it! :( I think we will be fine. I am drinking TONS of water ALL DAY. I suggest getting a Nalgene bottle (32oz) and fill it up all day long while you're teaching. See if this helps. My trainer told me that if you start to feel thirsty your body is already getting dehydrated! CHIN UP!! Talk to ya soon.

Kerri
  • Beegale
    Beegale Posts: 21
    Options
    Muscle is heavier than fat.....by volume.

There you go, myth cleared up!
  • DanL66712
    DanL66712 Posts: 135
    Options
    Muscle is heavier than fat.....by volume.

There you go, myth cleared up!

I'll accept that...it's a matter of poor English that can cause the confusion. Regardless, two pounds of muscle in a week would be a hell of an achievement! More likely that you will gain a couple of pounds of muscle a month, as opposed to a week.
  • Katherine912
    Katherine912 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I'd say that you shouldn't eat all of what you have burned. The calories you do burn are just an estimate and not completely exact. Since I'm trying ot lose weight I look at my work-outs as extra work and calories burned off, so I don't eat them. I would do that more if i was trying to maintain. If you are extra hungry, I'd say you can eat some of those calories, but don't eat them all, just to be safe.
  • carl1738
    carl1738 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Most likely the OP is ex experiencing water retention due to a new strenuous workout, not muscle not fat, just water. Your body stores water around the muscle when starting a new program or increasing intensity to protect and help repair the mucsle tissues broken down during the workout. After a few days/weeks your muscles will get use to it and no longer have the need for the water weight and shed it.

Stop paying so much attentions to the scale people, it is by no means an indication of health or fitness. Body fat %, resting heart rate, how you feel, how your close fit are all better indications of how you are doing.

Exactly. People put too much emphasis on a random number on the scale, thinking that if they reach this magic number they are automatically "healthy". It is better to put more stock in your body measurements and how you look in the mirror. Since I started lifting weights again, my weight loss has been very slow, but my body's transformation has been amazing. I've taken almost twelve inches off of my waist, but have added almost two inches to my arms, and can see quite a bit of muscular definition in my arms, legs, and shoulders. I can truthfully say that I look and feel a lot better, but I would have been greatly discouraged if I was just going by the scale. Don't focus so much on the scale!
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options

Of course it is but when people say muscle weighs more than fat they are comparing equal volumes. Or at the same weight you will take up less space (volume) with muscle.

Muscle density is 1.06 g/ml and fat density is (about) 0.9g/ml. Thus, one liter of muscle would weight 1.06 kg and one liter of
    fat would weight 0.9 kg. In other words, muscle is about 18% denser than fat. then 1L of muscle weighs more than 1L of fat. This is what people mean when they say muscle weighs more than fat, it just takes less time to leave out the volume part as it is assumed you are referring to the same volume

So we're really arguing over semantics. Weight is a measure of mass. What people mean to say is muscle is more DENSE than fat. Weight is weight regardless of it's density.

Besides, we're missing the real point here. You CANNOT gain muscle with a week and a half of plyometrics and having a calorie deficit. If any thing you need several weeks of training and a calorie SURPLUS. How can a living being create enough energy to build something, while at the same time it doesn't have enough energy to maintain it's mass? Can't happen.

Like Eric said, most likely the muscles are looking bigger because they're retaining water and other fluids because the body is repairing them. It's an adjustment peroid.

I would also like to echo that the scale is not the best indicator of health. Society and the fitness industry put too much credence in it. When they should be worried about Body Compeistion and other factors.
  • DreeDub
    DreeDub Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Hey girl, I have had issues this past week with with weight after starting Insanity with you! I actually went out and bought a new scale because I didn't believe it! :( I think we will be fine. I am drinking TONS of water ALL DAY. I suggest getting a Nalgene bottle (32oz) and fill it up all day long while you're teaching. See if this helps. My trainer told me that if you start to feel thirsty your body is already getting dehydrated! CHIN UP!! Talk to ya soon.

Kerri

Hey Kerri...I already do carry around my Nalgene (32 oz.) water bottle every day. I usually drink 2-3 bottles of water by the time I get home from work and then another one during/after my workout.

Am I retaining some of it maybe? I'm taking in a TON of water every day!
  • kerriBB37
    kerriBB37 Posts: 967 Member
    Options

Kerri

Hey Kerri...I already do carry around my Nalgene (32 oz.) water bottle every day. I usually drink 2-3 bottles of water by the time I get home from work and then another one during/after my workout.

Am I retaining some of it maybe? I'm taking in a TON of water every day!

I drink exactly the same! LOL