low sodium veggie broth?

Options
Hi all,

I made a healthy-ish soup last night that was only about 220 calories per serving, but when I looked at my sodium for the day, it KILLED me because it had 2 cans of vegetable broth in it... SO i'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions on a low-sodium vegetable broth (i'm vegetarian) that you have used in a recipe that tastes good (i.e. doesn't result in having to add a teaspoonful of garlic salt at the end)... thanks!

Replies

• utes09
    utes09 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I use low sodium vegetable broth made by Pacific I believe. I haven't bought any for awhile so specifics escape me.
  • JustForMe27
    Options
    I'm not sure about vegatable specifically but I found this granulated boulean (SP?) that is sodium free. The name of the brand I found is Herb Ox... It was in the same section with all the other broths etc in a little box on the top shelf lol I almost missed it. Hope you find something!
  • nalia08
    nalia08 Posts: 252
    Options
    Have you tried a low sodium veggie broth from a whole foods store. Or possibly boulion veggie cubes. Most whole foods sell a low sodium version also. Instead of using garlic salt, use garlic powder and chopped onions or powder. I had to wing my self off the salt because I noticed that was what was helping me to retain alot of my water weight.

Hope this helps....
  • LokiFae
    LokiFae Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    I have this problem with canned veggie broth too. Have you tried making your own? If you take one Saturday to do it, you can fill up your freezer with it, and this way you know exactly what's in it. :smile: This is the recipe that I use:

* 1 onion, chopped
    * 1 carrot, chopped
    * 2 stalks celery, chopped
    * 1 potato, chopped into large chunks
    * 1/3 cup mushrooms, chopped in half
    * 3 cloves whole garlic
    * 3 bay leaves
    * 8 cups water
    * dash salt and pepper

Preparation:
    Place all ingredients in a large pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for at least an hour. Strain out the vegetables and remove the bay leaves. This broth can be used as a base for soups, gravies and more. You can add a tbsp of soy sauce for extra flavor if you like, but I never do.
  • shelli1982
    Options
    thank you so much ladies! No Whole Foods near me (sucks!) but I will try a local co-op instead... thanks again!