running in the snow

grizzlymaze
grizzlymaze Posts: 185 Member
edited September 23 in Fitness and Exercise
The land is full of white snowy stuff and the wind is cold. Oh how I wish it were warmer than this. The sub zero climate is a real turn off, but this big grizzly man must remain in movement or I will gain from the winter and Jack Frost's mean temper.

Anyways, I want to run outside but I don't want to take the chance of hurting myself on ice and snow. Tread mills don't really work for me. I run flat footed and feel like I am going to break the machine and I also get bored. I want to run a marathon this summer and dont want to be to out of sorts when spring comes and I can finally start running again. Right now I have been to just doing cardio at home.

Help if you can.

Thank you.

Replies

• bka8
    bka8 Posts: 92
    Would you consider running with snowshoes? Its actually pretty awesome.
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    I've avoided trail running in the snow as of late for fear of snapping my ankle. Are the roads relatively clear? I'd say run on them if they're clean.
  • SweetPandora
    SweetPandora Posts: 660 Member
    Here is a link that talks about snow grips for your shoes. http://runningmagazine.ca/forum/?wpforumaction=viewtopic&t=81.0

I've never tried them as I'm a fair weather runner.

Best of luck

Karen
  • JMun
    JMun Posts: 409
    I live in Canada and the amount of snowfall we've had is INSANE.

That said, I found a cheap pair of pull on running cleats at Running Room. $20 and you pull them over your running shoes. Totally worth it. I run outside all the time. I do run slower than when I'm on an indoor track or treadmill just cos the ground can be uneven in places. But I've been winter running since November without incident.

I'm sorry but I can't remember the brand name of the cleats... :grumble:

hope that helps
  • susioryan
    susioryan Posts: 180
    Yaktraks- my running friends swear by them.
  • 2hdesign
    2hdesign Posts: 153
    I've heard good things about yaktracks.

Personally, it's not that bad in the part of Colorado I live in - a good trail shoe can give you enough on the snow. The problem is ice - if there's just a little, I shorten up my stride, slow down and dodge it. If the ice is bad, I wait a few days and try it again. Thankfully, our snow melts quick here, so I'm usually okay.
  • I put "#6 x 3/8" Hex Head Screws" in the soles of my favorite hiking boots - they give me way more traction than YaxTrax!
This discussion has been closed.