Weight training

Options
Do you really NOT burn calories with weight training. I've been doing P90x and using some of the comparable weight training exercises listed. However, when I add to my diary, it appears I have done no exercise at all. Please advise if I am using incorrectly. Thank you.

Replies

• luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    I am doing chalean Extreme and I wear my HRM and I burn near 200 calories during a 30minute weight training session. My heart rate is up when I am lifting to failure, so hence, I am burning calories.
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    Best bet is to use a HRM, keep track of your calories burned while lifting based on that. If your heart rate is up high enough while lifting, you will see some burn.
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others...you should definitely try using a HRM. I just started doing P90X (Jan 3rd), and I have since learned, that for me, I burn MORE calories when doing the weight training workouts than I do with the cardio workouts.

FYI - I use the Polar FT7 and I love it. It calculates calories burned, heart rate (of course), how many mins of fat burning, and how many mins of fitness (cardio). It has proven to be invaluable. I bought my on Amazon for $81.

Best wishes on your healthier lifestyle.
  • tdesautel
    Options
    yes you do burn calories, but to add them you should time how long you do strength training, then go to cardio exercise and type in strength training and add you time and it will add you calories burned, i do this to add to my work out time and then i still add in the weights i did so i have a record of them,
  • peggybrant
    peggybrant Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others...you should definitely try using a HRM. I just started doing P90X (Jan 3rd), and I have since learned, that for me, I burn MORE calories when doing the weight training workouts than I do with the cardio workouts.

FYI - I use the Polar FT7 and I love it. It calculates calories burned, heart rate (of course), how many mins of fat burning, and how many mins of fitness (cardio). It has proven to be invaluable. I bought my on Amazon for $81.

Best wishes on your healthier lifestyle.
    I am waiting on my Polar now. Should be here tomorrow or next. Their website told me the FT7 wasn't available until Feb so I ordered the FT4. seem to do the same only the line you see between fat burning zone and cardio zone is not on mine.

What ever HRM you get take note that if it doesn't ask your weight it will be a very in general estimate. I made that mistake on the one I just took back to dunhams.