Does work really count as exercise

Options
:smile: I'm a chef can I really put in 7 hrs work as my exercise? It's telling me I have used over 1000 calories that seems to good to be true !

Replies

• dawn_eichert
    dawn_eichert Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    You should set your lifestyle at a higher level and don't count your work as exercise. Go through the guided setup/set goals and that should help.
  • sdonohue
    sdonohue Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    What did you put in for your life style on your profile?

If you chose sedentary, then you should probably count work as exercise.

If you chose the more likely Lightly Active or Active, then your daily work is already factored into your calorie suggestions and shouldn't be entered separately.
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    You should set your lifestyle at a higher level and don't count your work as exercise. Go through the guided setup/set goals and that should help.

This. If you have your lifestyle setting at the appropriate level (I would guess "intermediate," but I do'nt know how active you are at work) then no, you wouldn't count it because it will already be taken into account in your calorie goal.
  • fitniknik
    fitniknik Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    Those calories should be factored when you set up your profile. I wouldn't count them because you are not going out of your way to do these things... its something you do every day. I only count things I do on purpose strictly for exercise... not cleaning... or doing something I would normally do anyway.
  • HeatherShrinking
    HeatherShrinking Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I don't think that is quite how it works. Sorry. :flowerforyou:

Remember when you set your goals, there is a section that allows you to set your daily activity. If you adjust your daily activity property, you shouldn't have to count your work as a separate workout. (The system will add/subtract calories based on your activity level)

Sounds like your level should be at one of the following:
    Lightly Active: Spend a good part of the day on your feet (e.g. nurse, salesman)
    Active: Spend a good part of the day doing some physical activity (e.g. waitress, mailman)
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    If you don't work full time you can add it as exercise but remember to back out the calories you would have burned at rest as those will be double counted. From 1 hour of work say you burn 300 calories in total well you would have burned around 90 of those if you did not work (maintenance calories divided by 24 hours) and is already taken into account in your daily goal.

Over a 7 hour shift if you burn 1.5 cals/min during normal activity then you would have burned 630 cals if you were not at work, so you should only enter 370 (1000-630) as these are the extra calories you burned at work and have not been included in your daily allowances (if you chose activity level as sedentary, otherwise you should not count it at all)
  • soniajc
    soniajc Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I only work 2 days a week but have set profile to light activity so I shall not count this as exercise. Didn't think it sounded right. Your help much appreciated.:smile:
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I only work 2 days a week will this make a difference ?

If you are set up as Sedentary then you should log it the way I suggested above. Only count the "extra calories" burned from work not the total cals or you will be double counting most of them.
  • SheliaN1960
    SheliaN1960 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Hi! I have read that the calories that you use on a daily basis should not count as your workout calories! Your body is use to the calories that you burn daily!