Warrior Dash.....Needs tips and advice

Options
2»

Replies

• HeatherMN
    HeatherMN Posts: 3,821 Member
    Options
    June in Pennsylvania. I'm excited! My husband is terrified.

Funny! I'm excited and my boyfriend is not looking forward to it. I kind of made him agree to do it in case I needed a boost over the military wall.

As for shoes, I have a pair of running shoes that I don't really use anymore, but am SO glad now that I didn't throw them away yet! They're already terribly dirty, so won't look much worse after the Dash.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    My husband isn't participating. We're calling him "our photographer." Two of my brothers, my SIL, a niece, her fiance (he'll be a husband by then!), and some other friends are doing it. One brother and the SIL are EMTs, so I joke that I'm bringing my own medical professionals. :laugh:
  • mam734
    mam734 Posts: 21
    Options
    Hey Jenn, Me and some guys from work are going to do the Dash in MI also. Looks like a blast! I'm interested to see what some of the training tips are.
  • jen0619
    jen0619 Posts: 414
    Options
    I have completed two and they are not terrible difficult seeing as how they are designed for all ages, but they are super fun. Definitely strength train though along with being to run a 5k. If you are going to run make sure you do it outside and on different terrain than just pavement. I'm sure you will do WAYY better than you think, just be prepared to get DIRTY!
  • warriornervous
    Options
    I am very nervous about the rappelling in the Warrior Dash. I have never rappelled before (I'm sure I'm not even sure I am spelling it right. lol). Do they already have the gear there and have the rope tied down? Anybody know how it works? I would hate to do all that running just to chicken out on the first obstacle.
  • MissTomGettingThin
    MissTomGettingThin Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I'm in the UK
    Does anyone know of anything like this over here?
    Sounds a blast!
  • sbilyeu75
    sbilyeu75 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I am very nervous about the rappelling in the Warrior Dash. I have never rappelled before (I'm sure I'm not even sure I am spelling it right. lol). Do they already have the gear there and have the rope tied down? Anybody know how it works? I would hate to do all that running just to chicken out on the first obstacle.

I think it may be just climbing with a rope. I was worried about it, but now I'm more concerned with getting my big butt over the walls.
  • Naynee
    Naynee Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I ran the Warrier Dash in Florida in January and it was harder than I expected (I do 10Ks, halfs, and sprint tris so I'm in decent shape). If you run AT ALL, you will be fine. Our course had a lot of mud.....as in, knee deep mud. I don't know what can prepare you for running in knee deep mud....maybe incline running or running in the sand.

There were people of all shapes, weights, and abilities and ANYONE can do any of the obstacles. There are people at every obstacle to help you along if you need it. Our course also had three different cargo nets-two horizontal and one vertical, a make-shift balance beam, an obstacle where you run over hale bails and one where you climb over cars. My least fav was crawling through a giant tent filled with mud in the dark. There were 2x4s supporting the tent so you had to crawl-if you stood up, you'd bang your head.

Sign up for an early heat if you can. The later you go, the messier the course. This race is so much more about fun than time and I'd recommend it to anyone!
  • Naynee
    Naynee Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have done the WD. I climbed a cargo net, but there was no rappelling-you climb back down another cargo net on the other side. I can't imagine there would be any rappeling because it would take too long to get everyone rigged up. Our heat was 500 people so there would be no way.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Any thoughts on wearing Vibrams for the dash? I just signed up for the one in Ohio. I'm nervous about the whole rappelling, does anyone have any insight into that?

My brother and niece did one last year. They said at the end the organizers gathered muddy donated shoes to clean up for charity to send to a 3rd world country for shoes. He told me when I do it this year, wear old shoes and clothes that I will want to throw away when I'm done.