Healthy Side Dishes?

Options
thefreemans28
thefreemans28 Posts: 267 Member
I am in need of some healthy side dishes to prepare for dinner other than your typical steamed veggie! My husband is going to kill me if I keep making him eat broccoli florets, green beans, corn, etc. I need to spruce up our meals! Any ideas?

Replies

• wkildal
    wkildal Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    try some sweet potatoes, zucchini, yellow squash (all cubed) mixed with 3 tblspns veg oil, seasoned with 1/4 tsp of each of the following: cumin, chili powder, sea salt, & garlic powder. single layer on cookie sheet. bake @ 450 for 30 minutes, turning veggies over half way though. Delicious!
  • wkildal
    wkildal Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    try some sweet potatoes, zucchini, yellow squash (all cubed) mixed with 3 tblspns veg oil, seasoned with 1/4 tsp of each of the following: cumin, chili powder, sea salt, & garlic powder. single layer on cookie sheet. bake @ 450 for 30 minutes, turning veggies over half way though. Delicious!
  • sixxbaby
    sixxbaby Posts: 543
    Options
    1. Brown rice, you can mix some salsa, or veggies in it
    2. Whole wheat pasta, mixed with diced tomatoes, onion, garlic and any spices to spruce it up, then a little low fat armesan or ramano cheese
    3. wild rice mixed with black beans
    4. roma tomatoes cut in half, topped with olive oil, minced garlic and basil, cooked a few minutes
    5. zucchini halved long way, cooked in a little olive oil and Parmesan cheese
    6. whole wheat couscous with dices bell pepper, cilantro, mushrooms and fat free honey mustard viniagrette
    7. low fat lentil soup topped with fat free greek style yogurt and topped with chives
    8. baked sweet potato

Hope some of these work, good luck!
  • thefreemans28
    Options
    ooooh! Thank you! Sounds delicious!!!!
  • thefreemans28
    Options
    Keep them coming! All suggestions are greatly appreciated!
  • meadows654
    Options
    -Rice boiled in low sodium broth instead of water
    -Baked potato with a little seasoned salt and some sprays of I Can't Believe It's Not Butter
    -Mash cauliflower and mix it with some mashed potatoes (they're white so they blend in together. He'll never know!)
    -Bake potato wedges in some olive oil, crushed garlic (or garlic powder), and sea salt to taste

(My hubby really likes potatoes, in case you can't tell!)

Or make some one dish meals with everything thrown in together so you don't have to worry about separate sides. One example: ground turkey cooked in a skillet, toss in a jar of low-fat gravy, add some baby carrots, and some chopped potatoes - some people add onions, etc. It's fewer calories than you'd think. We also do ground turkey with a can of tomato sauce, seasonings, some rice, and cook on the stovetop. Or a bisquick & egg quiche baked with chopped white chicken breast and broccoli. You don't need a crust with the bisquick mixed in and it bakes up fine with skim milk. No need to add cheese, unless your hubby wants to sprinkle some on top of his.
  • Tkhk0514
    Tkhk0514 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    love black beans and rice and add a little cilantro. Great source of fiber too.

I sauteed spinach, those carrot strings, mushrooms in olive oil then added orzo noodles. Towards the end I added dried cranberries. It was very good.

Baked sweet potato and baked sweet potato.

I also like to use the ronconi (sp??) brand of noodles and just add one of the flavors of petite diced tomatoes over the top.
  • kunecke
    Options
    Rice with fun stuff added like peas and carrots, or pineapple.
    You can mix broccoi with anything and with dozens of seasonings.
    Homemade mashed potatoes with skim milk and margarine
    Fruit salad and cool whip,
    Soups
    Salads
    Stir-fry veggies (even if you are not having chinese just throw in some different seasonings)
    Nothing pre-packaged.

Also, try changing your favorite recipes to trip a few calories here and there. Like using low fat cream of mushroom soup in green bean casserole or use splenda when the recipe calls for sugar.
  • thefreemans28
    Options
    OMG I always forget that I can use fruit as a side.... duh!