Changing amounts, but not type

Options
I just joined yesterday, and I'm beginning to get a little concerned about something.... All over the place, both here and "in real life," I see people totally changing what types of food they are eating. (Reduced fat and what-not) I'm not doing terrifically financially and those healthier foods so often are more expensive.

Is there any reason sticking with the same kinds of food I have been eating but limiting my portions and junk food wouldn't work? I'm just wondering because I really think the reason I'm having weight issues is more overeating and too many sweets/junky snacks.

Replies

• melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    I did it like that and I'm doing fine. I do eat better now because I make smarter choices and cut out total junk. I still eat pasta and tacos ;) I make homemade pizzas. I tend to use brown rice not white rice now etc but I don't use any gimmick type things.
  • atucker0821
    atucker0821 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    what kind of foods have you been eating besides the junk food? have you looked up the nutritional values of your current foods?

i promise you will be shocked when you realize what a real portion size is versus what we actually put on our plates...=)
  • MelleyJ
    MelleyJ Posts: 198
    Options
    You can still eat foods that you love. If you need money saving tips for grocery shopping check out fitness magaznie.com. They have some great strategies that really do work. Plus, there are lots of good foods out there you can buy in the lower fat versions or healthier versions that are the same price. For example, the low fat (lower calorie) yogurt is the same price as the regular yogurt, but about half the calories. Fruits and veggies are the same as well. Replacing your junk food with these options doesn't have to break the bank.
    Not to mention I save a ton of money when I make a list of what I plan to eat that week and only buy those things. (My husband and I don't have kids, but I know it can be difficult.) We don't eat out nearly as much and our budget has shrunk by trying these things.
    Good luck!
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    You certainly can. The only thing that is reduced fat and costs more are the convience foods. Yogurt, milk, soda, salad dressing, etc all cost the same whether fat free or reduced fat or even full fat version. There are some things that may cost more, but if you are eliminating some of the unhealthy stuff you may find it doable to splurge on some fat free treat. The other thing you can do, is look for coupons and sales. (especially sales on produce.)

I don't know what kind of food you already eat, reducing the anounts will definitly help.

Best wishes
  • GURLEY_GIRL3
    GURLEY_GIRL3 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I feel u....but u can get healthy food and eat normal just portion. I have a family of 5 and I usually eat what i fix the kids just not as much and dont use butter and fry things like i used to. It does cost alot of money to buy all those prepackaged meals (not worth it....unless u can afford it.) Just make smart choices. You can do it!
  • SKismet
    SKismet Posts: 137
    Options
    Thanks! And in case anyone wants to see some examples of what I normally eat, I just switched my logs to public.
  • BigDaddyRonnie
    BigDaddyRonnie Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    You are correct. Financially it is a stress to change what you eat over night. But if you allow a progression it will be easier. Remember it is a life change. It took this long to get to the point where you/we are at. It may take just as long, but this time the journey is rewarding!
  • doramouse
    doramouse Posts: 160
    Options
    Making things yourself vs buying premade products saves tons of money. A pot of beans costs just a few pennies, make your own stock out of left over chicken bones that you save from cooking a whole chicken - then make soup.
  • Paige1108
    Paige1108 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I didn't give up any of my "usual" foods. Now I was shocked to find out that my idea of a serving of cheese was about 4oz and not the 1oz a serving is suppose to be, oops.

I would like to offer one piece of advice, if you want to eat what you currently eating, than you absolutely need to get a food scale. Mine was 7.00, not digital but it gets the job done.

Good luck on your journey. I hope you find a way that works for you.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I can't stomach half the low-fat versions of the foods I like.. If I'm going to use say Miracle Whip, a once every 2 or 3 month occurence anyway, I am going whole-hog and having the full-taste regular version, though I DO use a smaller portion of the regular stuff, does the same to fat as using the to me not so great tasting lower fat option while letting me have the treat.
  • Kath712
    Kath712 Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I didn't give up any of my "usual" foods. Now I was shocked to find out that my idea of a serving of cheese was about 4oz and not the 1oz a serving is suppose to be, oops.

I would like to offer one piece of advice, if you want to eat what you currently eating, than you absolutely need to get a food scale. Mine was 7.00, not digital but it gets the job done.

Good luck on your journey. I hope you find a way that works for you.

Great advice!! I love my food scale. And I use measuring cups a lot more now.

Like Paige, I was shocked once I started reading nutrition labels. For me, it was pretzels. WHO KNEW a serving of pretzels was actually 7 pretzels, and not three handfuls!! :laugh: I am now a nutrition-label-reader, and it's really opened my eyes to what an appropriate portion is. I haven't given up any particular foods, and I don't generally go low-fat. I'm just more careful and aware of how much I'm eating.