heart rate

jojospero
jojospero Posts: 92 Member
edited September 23 in Fitness and Exercise
Does anyone know accurate are these heart rate monitor watches are? I got one for Christmas and just used it. I did 5 miles on the treadmill for an hour. My treadmill says I burned 488 calories and my watch says 1,110. OK, big difference... I would love to believe my watch but who knows! :smile:

Replies

• Miss_Chievous_wechange
    Miss_Chievous_wechange Posts: 1,230 Member
    Do you have a chest strap? You need a HRM with a chest strap for the most accurage reading.
  • MelleyJ
    MelleyJ Posts: 198
    In addition to the chest strap, you may need to plug in your info. I just figured out how to set mine up with my age, sex, weight, etc . Mine doesn't track calories, but it does calculate my max hr and tells me what percentage I am in while working out. Good luck!
  • jojospero
    No chest strap, just the watch. I guess it's a good idea to get one.
  • jojospero
    I did plug in all the info about age, sex, etc. in the watch. It said to check your heart rate frequently during your work out for a more accurate reading. Which I did. I think I'll just get the chest strap... are they comfortable?
  • fuzzymel
    fuzzymel Posts: 400 Member
    I find them a bit of a pain with sports bras but if you are male then thats obviously not going to be a problem.

Once its on and comfortable I don't notice it.
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    I have one with a chest strap, you don't even know it's there really. It depends on how much you weigh as to how much you would burn in one hour so I don't know if you are closer to the lower or higher reading. I do know however when I didn't have a HRM I used the MFP estimate and it was really close to what my actual was......and actually it was on the lower end so I was actually burning more.

Try the MFP estimate and see what it says.

**for me the MFP estimate is 650 calories for the workout you did.....but in real life it would probably be more like 750** so it seems I'm right in the middle for my weight, height etc.
This discussion has been closed.