Building muscle

maeflower1234
maeflower1234 Posts: 87 Member
edited September 23 in Fitness and Exercise
What DVD's are best for building muscle? I have the 30 day shred but what happens to that muscle after the 30 days? I think I have figured out I need to build muscle and not worry about what the scale says. Any thoughts on what I should do?

Replies

• AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    p90x ...the BEST video series for building muscle...awesome results!
  • maeflower1234
    maeflower1234 Posts: 87 Member
    I think that might be a bit beyond what I can do to start but it does look awesome. I have it and will use it once I get in a little better shape for sure!
  • mmtiernan
    mmtiernan Posts: 702 Member
    Once you build the muscle, you need to keep strenght training to maintain it. Otherwise it atrophies and eventually returns essentially to the same state as it was in before you began building it up. I've read reports that state beginning at age 25, you lose approximately 5% of your muscle yearly unless you strength train to maintain it. That translates into a big drop in metabolism by the time you hit 30s, 40s...and so on!

There are plenty of different ways to strength train. Some folks use kettlebells or medicine balls, resistance bands, others lift weights in a gym and some of us use DVD programs designed to build strength. I currently strength train using the ChaLEAN Extreme program from Beachbody, which has you using either resistance bands or dumbells and am really pleased with my results.

There is a women's weight lifting forum online you can check out - lots of wonderful, knowledgable folks there:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/141457-calling-all-women-lifters

You can also find programs on line from bodyrock.tv, women's health magazine and oxygen magazine, just to name a few. The key is to find something that works for you, then perform the strength training exercises at least three times per week.

Good luck!
  • mmtiernan
    mmtiernan Posts: 702 Member
    Just saw the above poster's reply about P90X - lots of folks on this web site use it and have had great success. Don't let the 'extreme' portion of it - or any other program - sway your decision. Just do what ever you can do. As you get stronger, you'll be able to do more and more until eventually, you will be doing the entire video! As long as you are working and gaining ground, that's what counts.

The ChaLEAN Extreme DVDs are similar to P90X, except they are shorter and led by Chalene Johnson, who is a fantastic motivator. I hear a lot of good things about Jillian Micheal's DVDs too - find something that works and rock it as best you can!
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    I agree with trying P90X it really is an awesome program. You can do everything at your own pace and as you get stronger you will do more lift more etc.

I'm on week 3 and so far so good.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    I strongly suggest purchasing/reading "The New Rules of Lifting for Women" by Lou Schuler. It is full of great info and lifting routines!! It is my bible and I have had the best results with it!!
This discussion has been closed.