fiber

Options
There is no harm in too much fiber, right? I am consistently over my recommended fiber intake by lunch time, but also think that MFP has the lowest fiber suggested that I've ever seen... But more IS better in this case, right?

Replies

• TammyK777
    TammyK777 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    MFP does default to a really low number. I upped mine. as long as you're getting enough water too, you should be good!
  • kammy92
    kammy92 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    yes, make sure to drink plenty of water! :)
  • Corismom
    Corismom Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Dr. Ski Chilton, a guest on the madetocrave.org Monday night webcasts recommends 25g of fiber a day for women, 35 a day for men.

See www.genesmart.com
  • TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    I've been told 30g of fiber, so yes, MFP is low.

Anyway, YES, there is a thing as too much fiber. 1. Fiber can block absorption of minerals in the intestine, so you want to not over do it. 2. Too much fiber at one time can cause a blockage. It can gel together and can have the opposite effect on the traffic flow.
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Yes fiber is bad, if you don't drink enough water, that is when you will get constipated. Also know that, each gram of fiber equals 4 calories. Sooooo because it is calories that your body cannot process and store as fat, you can multiply the grams of fiber by 4 and subtract that number from your calorie intake.

or so my mother who has been dieting all her life says, and lives by!