Sweet potato deliciousness

Options
superhippiechik
superhippiechik Posts: 1,044 Member
I have only discovered the delicious sweet potato this past year. Not my mom's slimy Thanksgiving mess,but a delicious versatile,filling snack. Pair one with a slicing mandolin and you are in business!

Sweet pan sweet potato
I lg peeled sweet potato thinly sliced-that is why I love my mandolin!
fat free cooking spray of your choice
non-stick pan
coat slices with spray
place in single layer in a very hot pan,reduce heat and cook on med high until desired texture-usually 3min. on each side turning once.
sprinkle with sweetener of your choice-honey,agave nectar,stevia,splenda-sweeet n low causes cancer so dont use that! lol

When I want something kind of salty I use McCormics perfect pinch seasoning blends after I coat the potatos with the cooking spray. It has salt in it so I don't need to add more.

Perfect sweet potato french fries
pre heat oven to broil
cut sweet potatos into french fries and cover with cold water. Leave the skin on for extra vitamins!
cover and bring to boil-add 1tbsp. salt once they are boiling.re-cover and let boil until potatos are almost fork tender. Drain and let them dry a bit.(I think they are yummy like this too. All salty and warm with honey.mmmm.
cover a baking sheet with foil and spray with calorie free cooking spray of your choice(I like EVOO) place dry potatos in a single layer and coat lightly with cooking spray and seasoning of your choice. I like McCormics Perfect Pinch Carribean Jerk flavor. No need for salt because there is a little in the seasoning blend.

Cook on broil for 10min. turn potatos and check after 8 more minutes.

I hope you like these recipes as much as I do,and I would love to learn more sweet potato recipes if you have any!

Replies

• ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    Yummy! I like sweet potatos cut into wedges, lightly coated with olive oil, and baked at 400 until tender. I tend to put just a pinch of salt and then a generous sprinkle of cayenne on them.
  • Mary_Burris
    Options
    Sounds super yummy!!! :flowerforyou:
  • travelgirl09
    travelgirl09 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I like sweet potato when I'm in a hurry. Takes only 5 minutes, if that to microwave one and they are so yummy just plain!
  • bjmk19047
    bjmk19047 Posts: 123
    Options
    I like baking a sweet potato, and using just a touch of that spray on fake butter and some cinnamon and sugar!
  • superhippiechik
    Options
    I don't own a microwave,but that sounds super easy!
  • JustDoIt1973
    JustDoIt1973 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Sweet potatoes are a superfood!! So filling and very very good for you! I love them too..I slice them like french fries, spread out on a lightly sprayed cookie sheet. Sprinkle with garlic powder, cumin and onion powder and bake til tender and crispy on the edges. soooo good!!
  • bluemartini6
    Options
    Bump
  • cyndi101
    Options
    thank you...I Adore sweet potatoes!!
  • GuamGrly
    GuamGrly Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    bump
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,396 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jdelisle
    jdelisle Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    I <3 Sweet Potato's, thank you so much for the recipes!

I'm curious as to which brand of Mandolin you use? I've been really interested in purchasing one for awhile now.

P.S.

If you love Sweet Potato's, be sure to check out my blog next week for "Heiniken Sweet Potato Stew"! Best. Stew. Ever. (and made completely by accident the first time). The sweet potatoes literally melt into the recipe and create the tastiest stew base ever.

http://jdelisle42.blogspot.com/ <--- Heiniken Sweet Potato Stew
  • superhippiechik
    Options
    Mmmm.I will check it out!
  • lucylorelei
    lucylorelei Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I LOVE sweet potatoes too!!! I make a quick bread with baked mashed sweet potato, honey, whole wheat flour, flax and more good stuff. Excellent breakfast. Also a yummy sweet potato soup with plain yogurt and curry powder. Once I made a terribly delicious and oh-so-not nutritious sweet potato pound cake. I took it to my parents' house and only had a sliver! They were kinda mad, but it was so good, they forgave me.
  • superhippiechik
    Options
    I LOVE sweet potatoes too!!! I make a quick bread with baked mashed sweet potato, honey, whole wheat flour, flax and more good stuff. Excellent breakfast. Also a yummy sweet potato soup with plain yogurt and curry powder. Once I made a terribly delicious and oh-so-not nutritious sweet potato pound cake. I took it to my parents' house and only had a sliver! They were kinda mad, but it was so good, they forgave me.
    [/quote
    Please send me the recipe for the soup and the quick bread! I would love that,Yummy!!!]
  • slm4
    slm4 Posts: 37
    Options
    super hippie chik-
    Oh my gosh, I love sweet potatoes! Your recipe is very similar to one I use, but I bake them instead.. You can slice them up, like chips/crisps, and throw them in the oven at 400 degrees for about 30 minutes and they're wonderful. I will put agave on them or a tab of honey and maybe some cinnamon. Are you vegan or veg (or neither?)?
  • superhippiechik
    Options
    I have been going veggie for 2 years because I am allergic to most meat. I have my moments where I want meat so bad I would gladly go hunt my own cow or eat the next person who annoys me! But for the most part I follow a vegan diet. I have never liked milk and only want eggs occasionally. Cheese is a dificult one, because for 30 years all food was a vehicle for cheese! I will indulge maybe twice a month,though. Are you veggie? Maybe I can steal some of your recipes!:flowerforyou:
  • spuzo
    spuzo Posts: 50
    Options
    I made sweet potato fries last night for dinner and my niece looked at me like I was eating our dog! If only she knew how good they were....
  • Stylist4Christ
    Options
    Yay for sweet potatoes! I just started eating them last year as well! I love to bake them!
  • evandmegsmom
    evandmegsmom Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    A yum & a bump. :smile:
  • slm4
    slm4 Posts: 37
    Options
    For the most part, yes. I started eating mostly vegan around Nov and Ive been really surprised how easy and delicious it is! I love it. So far I have a bunch of rudimentary recipes or just make normal ones with alot of morningstar products, as I'm sure you're familiar with. I eat alot of tofu. I still haven't been able to make marinated tofu the way I find it if we're visitng a city that has a whole foods. I'm terribly envious of those who have one just in their neighborhood! I do have a tofu stew i make that is pretty good, and i serve it on rice or cous cous. What do you usually do for meals?