Better Cereal Ideas?

Options
2»

Replies

• HotMomma86
    Options
    I just started eating Kashi Go Lean Triple Berry Crunch. It has 29gs of sugar though per serving (3/4 cup).
  • katschi
    katschi Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    1/2 cup dry oatmeal to which I add hot water. Put a plate over top the bowl to "cook" the oats. (I got rid of my microwave)
    Then I add cinnamon, Splenda and 1/2 cup blueberries and a 1/4 c of unsweetened almond milk.

oatmeal ~~ 150 cals
    blueberries ~~ 40 cals
    almond milk ~~ 10 cals
    total ~~ 200 calories 37 carbs 4 g fat 5 g protein 6 g fiber

It isn't glamorous but it fills the belly and except for the splenda I add to it, pretty virtuous. (and cheap!)

I have also added 1/2 banana or cooked apple slices to the oatmeal.
    Or 1 T natural peanut butter.
    Some people add pumpkin and nutmeg with a tsp of maple sugar.

I love oatmeal for this reason ... so many ways to punch it up.
  • cardigirl
    cardigirl Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I like Kashi although some of them are very high in sugar. A new one I've been trying (new to me) is Nature's Path Heritage Organic Multigrain Cereal. Really good and really filling.
  • jessieinblue
    jessieinblue Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Ezekiel 4:9 brand puts out several different cereals, though they are pricey. Sugar content is either very low or absent. My favorite is the Golden Flax -- I eat it with blueberries or sliced strawberries and whole milk.

Not a low-calorie breakfast, but breakfast is the biggest meal of the day for me.
  • frenchfri87
    frenchfri87 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    i love kashi!! :flowerforyou:
  • jrbanta
    jrbanta Posts: 4,275 Member
    Options
    I love old fashioned oatmeal in the morning with banana and almonds or pecans in it. Regular cheerios are really low in sugar and I add 1/4 of fresh berries such as blue berries, raspberries or blackberries.
  • sluson2000
    Options
    I just found Peace brand cereals at Sprouts and they are really tasty. About 100-115 cal per 1/2 cup. I take them in snack baggies to munch on during the day. I've tried the berry blend and the mango and they are both great.
  • sunshine7966
    Options
    I started buying Kashi last week and LOVE it!!