I need ideas and suggestions!

oddyogi
oddyogi Posts: 1,816 Member
edited September 23 in Chit-Chat
Hey all,

This upcoming Valentine's Day is my and my hubby's first one together being married. We're on a budget set at $20 or less for gifts. Does anyone have any fun, thoughtful, creative, and/or sweet ideas? I'm stumped and for a man I don't want to go with a card, chocolates, or flowers! =P

Thanks for the help!

Replies

• MontanaB
    MontanaB Posts: 439 Member
    make cupcakes and do some little hearts out of royal icing and put your names on them or get a bakery place to print some pics of you together on edible paper with edible ink..
    very personal and different and not too expensive :)
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Isn't the first year Paper? Get him a subscription to a magazine. :)
  • oddyogi
    I got him a subscription to a Science magazine he likes for Christmas! Dangit!

Cupcakes are definitely a good idea.. but I'm weary of my ability to control myself from eating more than one!

All we have planned is going out to eat the following weekend at the Macaroni Grill (my favorite Italian restaurant).
  • I would surprise him with a picnic at your local park. Go to subway and get some healthy sandwiches. Get a bottle of cheap wine or champagne and have a picnic! Cheap and thoughtful!
  • nisijam5
    nisijam5 Posts: 9,964 Member
    coupons are anything you can think of that you are willing to do...favorite bottle of wine, champagne and a couple of glasses...movies and pack your own popcorn
  • linsben
    linsben Posts: 108 Member
    Hand write him a letter tellling him how much he means to you and how much you love him and maybe how much you love being his wife. Thats my plan cuz my bf doesnt want any "sillyness" this year. The 20 bucks you can spend on nice stationary or something small to go along with it. But jut because your not spending lots doesnt mean this Valentines day has to be unromantic!

Goodluck
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    My loving man like hunting and fishing magazines. :) Maybe a scrapbook? I like the picnic idea. A coupon book? You know you could make it and it could be for back rub, ironing, car wash, breakfast in bed, yadda yadda. :)
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    make a fun coupon book for him, with all sorts of coupons that he can use; like back massage, foot rub, pick nic in the park, free car wash... you can make it as daring as you would like, as cute or naughty or helpful, or sweet as you would like...
  • merrillfoster
    merrillfoster Posts: 855 Member
    Make him a coupon book with things he likes in it (when I do it it's usually for things like massages, boys nights out, 'sexual' things, nights when he gets the remote, 'us' days (where I stay home from work) washing his car, etc...but whatever your guy likes). I get construction paper, glitter pens, cutouts of pictures in magazines, etc, and really enjoy making them, and I've yet to meet a guy that isn't thrilled.
  • merrillfoster
    merrillfoster Posts: 855 Member
    kimmerroze, I guess great minds think alike!
  • You could always get some lingerie for yourself to wear ;)
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Inexpensive gift: I had a keychain made that has his daughter's pic on one side, mine on the other. He's got us with him wherever he goes! It was about $15.00 - don't remember the web site though. I found it doing a search for picture keychains.

On top of that I cooked (he normally does all the cooking for the week on Sundays). I hate cooking, he knows it and appreciated the effort although he jumped in 1/2 way through. He loves to cook.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    My husband always says the best gift I ever gave him was a photo from the Dead Parrot Sketch from Monty Python (clipped from a magazine), that I matted and framed for him.

If there's any obscure movies he loves, you can look for prints on Amazon. I found some for my sister's favorite childhood movie and framed them for her for Christmas, and they were cheap. About $5 each with shipping. Total cost for two prints and two frames was around $20.
  • oddyogi
    These are all great ideas! Thanks everyone! Even if I don't use the coupon idea for Valentine's Day, I'll definitely use it for his birthday which is soon after!
  • binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Naked is 100% free.
  • skinnywithin
    skinnywithin Posts: 1,392 Member
    I love the coupon book, Got one for my hunny a few years ago. or make his favorite dinner a nice bath and a great movie or put your money together and enjoy dinner and movie ot appetizers and a drink. ( and put the coupon book under his pillow or in his lunch box that morning) Post a thousand post it notes all over the house on WHY YOU LOVE HIM SO!!!
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze, I guess great minds think alike!

This is aparently true! :laugh:
  • kimmerroze
    Naked is 100% free.

boys are so cheap and easy! hahah I mean that with the upmost respect!
  • hill2302
    hill2302 Posts: 139 Member
    Seriously, in what way does he most like to be shown that he's loved? Physical touch, nice words, gifts, acts or gestures of service, or maybe by quality time you spend together? You need to figure that out and tailor your gift to fill that need to feel your love. How you might like him to express his love to you may not be the same way he would like for you to express your love to him. Figure that out and you'll find your answer pretty quickly.

if he's a physcial touch kinda guy, then listen to Binary Gesture, naked is 100% free.
    If he's a nice words guy, then a letter telling him how wonderful he is is the trick.
    If he's a gift guy, then get him something he'd like having.
    if he's a act of service kinda guy, then doing something nice for him will float his boat.
    If he values quality time with you, then something like the picnic will certainly be appreciated.

There's also this book called "365 night of great sex" or something to that effect which would be fun for both of you.
This discussion has been closed.