Manual vs. Electric Treadmill

Options
I am going to be buying a used treadmill ASAP. I am seeing a lot of treadmills that say they are manual (meaning they have no motor... you propel it at the rate you are walking/running). Does anyone have any experience with a manual treadmill? I have used plenty of electric ones, but I never a manual. Do you recommend? Not recommend?

Replies

• kabullard
    Options
    I don't know the difference except that with manual you would constantly be having to push yourself harder to maintain a steady speed. The only time I've seen them was 2 weeks ago on The Biggest Loser when they did their first challenge.
  • LisaZaugg1976
    LisaZaugg1976 Posts: 1,144 Member
    Options
    I think I prefer electric one to manual
  • JillyBean819
    JillyBean819 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I don't know the difference except that with manual you would constantly be having to push yourself harder to maintain a steady speed. The only time I've seen them was 2 weeks ago on The Biggest Loser when they did their first challenge.

This is true! I have a manual one at home.

You have to put it on an incline to use it. I also found that you have to hold on to the handle bars while walking since you have to manually move the treadmill. They are cheaper than electrics but electric treadmills are more fun, imo.